The Do’s and Don’ts of College Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whether or not you believe your party knowledge is superior, we could all learn a thing or two to avoid little incidents from happening! In any situation you can minimize most hazards from learning a few “do’s” and “don’ts” to carry you threw the semester. Be safe, collegiettes!

• Do:

Practice the Buddy System:

I know you may think that because you’re legally an adult that it’s ok for you to go out solo, but its not. Make sure, at the very least, you have one friend to walk with TO and FROM places. As we learned at a young age, there is safety in numbers!

Get Details Before You Leave:

This is mainly important for the upperclassmen because we tend to have the habit of going out with absolutely no destination. Know the basics of which street and who is hosting the party before you stumble, literally, into somewhere unknown.

Make An Exit Strategy:

Generally, we all have an idea of our intended intoxication for the night. Split your group in half between the night owls and the people who have early mornings. This way either parties won’t harbor any resentment for staying out at inconvenient times!

Pregame:

If you don’t already know what you will end up drinking during the night, it is best for safety reasons to first do it at your dorm in the comfort of your friends. This way you have complete control over what you consume.

Take Care of Your Friends:

Yes it’s annoying when your friend has consumed too many substances which result in their child like state. BUT, just remember that in addition to their safety that some day in the future the favor will be returned because that’s what good friends do!

• Don’t:

Wear Heels:

This is typically the rookie mistake of freshmen. Unlike most other schools our bars aren’t really the dress up in a fancy manner type.  To avoid pain and stumbling, avoid heels like the plague unless you’re a pro or they’re wedges.

Wear Open-Toed Shoes:

Alongside the other shoe mistake of heels, sandals are just as dangerous. In hyper crowded parties most people are stumbling around without regard to your presence. If your feet are exposed, you risk everyone stepping on your toes and maybe even worse the grime from everyone’s spilled drinks!

Wear White:

There’s nothing worse than wearing one of your favorite white shirts and coming home to find stains from other people drinks and your makeup along the neckline because you danced too hard.

Go to HofUsa, Sbarros or Dutch After:

Think of the Freshman 15 and the safety of your stomach. These may be appealing post party options but you will regret it both the next morning and months later when you’re wondering about the exponential number on the scale.

Travel Alone:

Whether or not you are physically with someone there always is a way to exercise the buddy system. Apps like Locate My Friends! will ensure that even if you make the bold and dangerous decision to travel alone, despite my warning, your friends can make sure you get back safely. Plus it’s always more fun with your friends!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
MN native navigating NY one selfie at a time. Senior Journalism student at Hofstra University and current HC Chapter Advisor.