This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Welcome back to Dorm Room DIY! If you’re looking for an interesting and easy way to store your shoes without using a ton of space but aren’t looking to spend any money either, look no further! Being a college student I get a ton of boxes, whether it’s from packing, care packages, or buying unnecessary things on amazon, I have too many. This made me think of a way to use them instead of just throwing them out!

What you need:

Knife or Scissors

Boxes (all shapes and sizes work)

Shoes!

Quick Note: To make the boxes look a tad bit more presentable, you can spice them up by painting them or doing whatever you would like to fit your needs!

First, I measured out which shoes could fit in which boxes. Then, I cut a section out that would be big enough for both shoes. If you have an overly large box or (really tiny feet) it’s possible to cut two different sides so you can fit two different pairs of shoes in the same box.

You can repeat this for all of the shoes that you have or however many boxes that you have!

Now all you have to do is stack! My tower is pretty stable but if you wanted to go higher, you could use something like command strips, glue, tape, or any other adhesive that you have to hold each box on top of the other.

This was a quick and easy project that solved a problem that I happened to have. I hope it does the same for you! You can get pretty creative with the types of boxes you use, if you have a longer one, you may be able to store more than one pair of shoes in it. 

Again, my boxes are pretty plain but it is mainly because I don’t pay too close of attention to what is underneath my bed unless I’m looking for something but if you’d like to put it somewhere else or just add some color, you could get really creative with paint or use a patterned box!

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.