This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Welcome back to Dorm Room DIY!

Everyone knows that when you go to college you want to have some sort of decoration in your dorm room. If not, it sort of just feels like a prison cell.  If you want to incorporate pictures, I have six different ideas for you to try!

What you’ll need to do any of these ideas:

• Adhesive Putty
  • Christmas Lights
  • Pictures
  • String
  • Clothespins
  • Tacks

Pictures with connected borders.

The first idea I have for you is just really simple. If you have a ton of pictures this might be your best bet! I used this my first year at Hofstra.

Because you only have so much wall space, a good way to save some room is to just put the pictures as close together as you can.

Pictures with space between.

Message board with picture borders.

A good way to spice this up is to put a message board or something in the middle of your wall and then work your pictures around it. Here is an example from Pinterest that I found that may better explain what I’m talking about.

Image courtesy of aesthetics

String and clothespin pictures.

It’s is a nice way to hang your pictures and doesn’t take as much time as hanging pictures separately like my ideas above.

These next two ideas are really awesome if you’re looking for a unique and interesting way to display your pictures. It takes up a little less space than the ones the above and doesn’t take too much time either.

Pictures arranged as words.

I wasn’t crazy about this design until it was up on my wall and then I fell in love with it. You can make the letters as big as you want, but just make sure you have a variety of pictures both landscape and portrait to get the job done! This design looks better if you add more pictures, I just was lacking for space. 

A Heart Design.

My heart looks pretty bad but I was lacking for space, pictures and time. Below you will find a diagram stating how it should look, how many pictures are in each row, and how many pictures you should have total. I promise it looks way better than my picture above when you follow the diagram!

String Lights and Pictures.

My last idea for you is my favorite and the idea that I currently have up in my room now. All I used was thumbtacks, clothespins, Christmas lights, and pictures to make this happen. I think it took me a total of 15 minutes to put up!

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.