This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Welcome to my weekly blog, Dorm Room DIY. I’m currently a sophomore journalism major with a fine arts minor. I grew up crafting with my mom; whether it was DIY, making greeting cards, or planning scrapbook pages. I have always tried to use my craftiness to make things in life a little easier. That brings us to our first DIY project.

After my first year of college, I decided to move to a single but realized I wouldn’t have as much space as before. Makeup for me was already always a hassle; I could never find my eyeliner. That’s when I finally found an idea online that I knew would make my makeup problems disappear!

A DIY Magnetic Makeup Holder

I didn’t have time to find a flat piece of metal so I just grabbed a decent sized baking sheet and it worked just as well. From there, I sanded down the metal as much as I could just to make sure the paint would stick.

Once you finish sanding, you can paint. Let your imagination run wild! I decided to use black paint and silver glitter to give it a little bit of character. I recommend that you do two to four coats of paint before adding the glitter. This will ensure that your baking sheet is fully covered and you won’t have to worry about any bare spots.

After adding the glitter, I let my sheet dry overnight. I had some diamond boxes hanging around so I used a hot glue gun to adhere them to the front. I only attached three because I didn’t need any more than that. You can get creative with this part as well. If you are interested in having something to put your makeup brushes and hair ties in you can purchase tiny buckets in multiple colors off Amazon for a very reasonable price. These will give you the option to put things you can’t magnetize on the board.

To adhere these buckets, I would suggest using a magnet and a Command Strip hook instead of hot gluing them right to the sheet. These hold a ton of weight so you shouldn’t have to worry about them falling off.

I used the Command hooks for something a little different: to hold up my jewelry. It is a great alternative to having bracelets and earrings hanging around everywhere just waiting to be lost. 

Next, you can start adhering your magnet strips to your makeup products. You don’t need a ton of glue but make sure that you press down hard enough so that when it dries, the glue doesn’t peel off the product. I ran into some trouble with this but eventually got it to work.

Once the glue dries, you can start putting your makeup on your baking sheet. To adhere the makeup holder to the wall, I just used two Command Strips. These also hold a ton of weight so you don’t have to worry about it falling off.

This DIY makeup holder is a great way to keep all of your makeup in one spot and not have to worry about knocking anything over or losing things. It’s a great hack for a dorm room!

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.