Dorm Room DIY: Crafts with Items You Have Around Your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

DIY Crafts are super fun and easy to do! They can spice up your house, your dorm room, or even help you stay organize! Not everyone is as crafty as the next person, or has a bunch of craft stuff laying around, but here are some really easy DIY ideas with things that you probably have lying around your house!

Things you will need:

• 2 pieces of 8×11 paper
  • Toilet paper or paper towel rolls
  • Glue
  • Bobby pins or paper clips
  • Spray paint or any type of coloring item
  • Highlighters (I used the large sharpie ones and find they work best)
  • An old picture frame with glass
  • A dry erase or washable marker

Paper Towel Art

Paper towels are pretty useful in general, but when all the paper is gone, your just stuck with a tube of cardboard. Here is a way you can turn those paper towel tubes into art for your home. All you have to do is cut a paper towel roll into your desired thickness and arrange them however you would like. I used bobby pins to help me keep everything in place until I could decide on a design and glue the pieces together. Here are some of the arrangements I came up with: 

Highlighter Splatter Paint

This can be fun for all ages, just make sure when you’re flicking the highlighter you are in a space that you don’t mind getting dirty! All you have to do is shake the highlighter, take the cover off, and flick! 

Folding Box Pen Holder

Organization is pretty important if your someone like me. Making a small box to hold your pens, paper clips, markers, or anything else you can think of, out of paper is pretty awesome too. There is an awesome Crafty video that was posted on Instagram to show you how to do it!

Picture Frame Notes Board

If you aren’t someone looking to carry around a ton of sticky notes or lists, here is a unique idea to remember everything you need! Take an old picture frame, add any type of background you’d like, flip it over, and start to write. It’s super easy and can also be a place for you to hang that highlighter splatter artwork you made earlier.

Happy crafting!

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.