DIY Projects to Try This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Summer is when you have the most time to start on projects you would never have time while at school! Why not up the creativity and add a personal flare to some everyday items you use, through DIY projects instead of perusing the isles of Target? Rinse off a paintbrush, grab some dye and get out the sewing machine! The best part of these projects is that nobody can duplicate your signature!

Mason Jars

Decorating mason jars is a favorite because there are so many routes you can take, whether it’s glitter, bows, ribbons or the use of glass paint. And honestly, we all know it’s much more fun to drink out of a mason jar. For about less than $10 you can typically buy a pack of these at craft store or your local super stores.

Basic supplies:

• Mason Jar
  • Modge Podge
  • Spray Paint
  • Painters Tape
  • Glitter (optional)
  • Burlap String (optional)

For inspiration, check out this Her Campus article

The easiest way to tackle mason jars is to start with a coat of spray paint (regular paint will drive you nuts trying to get an even coat). From their, after it dries continue to layer with your favorites, such as glitter if you’re more girly or burlap if you want a summer nautical theme.

Coasters

Where else would you place your mason jars if they were used for drinking? Save your counters from water stains and instead of buying a general pack of coasters, sit down with your family and make each one personal!

Basic supplies:

• Marble squares
  • Modge Podge and sponge brush
  • Decorative tape
  • Photographs

You can transfer images such as photographs or newspaper articles simply with painting Modge Podge over the original surface. Place the photo or newspaper upside down, resealing with Modge Podge.

T-shirts

As women hoarding t-shirts, we hardly ever wear the same one more than once a year because we have so many! Since we wear them so infrequently, it’s best to use old t-shirts for this DIY project by cutting them up and styling them your way. This project help save a little change in your pocket by recycling, as well as change in your wardrobe.

Basic supplies:

• Old T-shirt
  • Scissors
  • Sewing kit (optional)
  • Tie-dye (optional)

For inspiration, check out this Buzzfeed article.

Denim Shorts

By far one of the cutest DIY’s! Custom cutoffs are being sold all over Pinterest! But instead of paying someone else’s customization, have a shot at it on your own. They can be as simple as little rips or customized with different back pocket styles. Whatever suits your personality.

Basic Supplies:

• Old jeans
  • Scissor
  • Sewing kit
  • Assorted fabric and/or bandana squares (optional)
  • Lace squares (optional)
  • Fabric paint and brushes (optional)

The easiest way to go about this is to make a cardboard cutout of the area in which you are adding to. From there, use that as your outline for cutting the additional fabric that will be sewn on! It’s quick and easy.

Tapestries

Everyone wants a tapestry nowadays, it’s the “it” addition to any room. Tapestries make quite the bold statement about your style. They typically start at around $20 at most flee markets for the ornate designs but if you make them on your own, you can definitely save on money!

Basic supplies:

• A bed sheet, whatever size preferred
  • Tie-dye kit
  • String and close pins
  • Stencils and paint (optional)

Bed sheets can be manipulated the same way as t-shirts but can be folded in so many more ways if you are looking for detail. The best way to go about it is to find tie-dye inspiration. If you are looking for even more detail, then find some cool stencils to add designs over the tie-dyed sheet such as elephants, which are a popular design on many sold tapestries!

With these supplies, you can easily get away with completing all of these tasks in the summer for a student friendly cost. Not to mention, all of the different designs will aid in you exploring your creative side  and can expand with each project you take on. Best of luck!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.