Danceworks Member: Alexis Corrao

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Alexis Corrao

Year: 2018

Major: B.S. in Dance Education

Backstage photo from “Cosmic Love”

JH: What was the name of the piece you danced in?

AC: It was a Contemporary piece called “Cosmic Love”, by Kaiyla Ross.

JH: Which piece in the show was your favorite?

AC: I liked Billy Cohen’s Hip Hop dance, “Break’n Sweat”, and Alanna Kramer’s Jazz piece, “Hungry for Some Good Fun?”. The Hip Hop piece was really clean and had great energy. It made you want to get up on stage and dance with them! Alanna’s reminded me of Hairspray. The costumes were really nice in that one and I enjoyed the partnering during the different sections. That piece was longer but it stayed interesting the whole time.

JH: How many Danceworks shows have you been in?

AC: Two. Fall of 2014 and now this one.

JH: What makes Danceworks such a great organization to be a part of?

AC: It’s a lot of fun! I’m a dance major which is totally different from being in Danceworks. Danceworks allows you to explore more styles. It’s a student run organization so you know the choreographers and it’s cool to see their pieces come to life. Preforming in shows are really fun as well!

Left to right: Sarah Murdukhayev & Alexis Corrao

JH: What do you love about dancing?

AC: I’m a very quiet person so dancing is my way to express myself, which I know a lot of people say, but it’s true! It is an outlet for me. I can use my body to express so much more to people than I can do with words.

JH: What is your favorite style of dance?

AC: Modern and Irish Step Dancing. I did Irish Step Dancing for years before coming to college. I learned modern later but I love how they’re so different. You use your body more fully in modern, where as in Irish Step you limit your movements to your feet and legs.  

JH: What song do you think would be awesome to choreograph a piece to?

AC: Photograph by Ed Sheeran. 

Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.