Campus Celebrity: Jane LaRocco, Senior Associate Dean of Admission

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

All across Hofstra’s campus, we often see students that reach “celeb” status. However, you may not have seen this particular admissions counselor around campus. But if you haven’t seen her, don’t be too surprised—Jane LaRocco is quite the traveler!  Traveling from state to state, continent to continent, Jane’s job has allowed her to make footprints for Hofstra all over the world.

What prompted you to become an admissions counselor?  

I think that I’ve always had education running through my veins.  Growing up, my Dad was a guidance counselor and my Mom was a teacher.  I was a tour guide for three of my four years of undergraduate study at St. Lawrence University and really enjoyed the atmosphere in the admissions office.  It seemed natural to pursue a career in admissions after finishing my undergraduate degree.

Why did you come to Hofstra?  

I came to Hofstra because it was so different from my previous admissions jobs, and I wanted a change and a challenge.  Previously, I had worked at an all women’s college, and at a small college with many international students.  Hofstra was much larger, co-ed, with a diverse student body and a national and international reputation.  It seemed like a good fit, and I’ve been here for 15 years!

Many at admissions and even many throughout the university know you as “Jet Blue Jane”.  How’d you get this nickname?  

My domestic travel territory is the west coast, as well as Nevada and Arizona.  Jet Blue flies to all of the cities that I need to visit and all of its flights from JFK are non-stop.  I spend a lot of time at Terminal 5 at JFK.  I’m hoping that someday Jet Blue will name a plane after me!  Another little known fact is that I always sit in the exact same seat on every flight – 19C because knowing that I’m always in the same seat means that there’s one less thing to remember whenever I board a plane.

Tell us about the places you’ve been.  

I’ve been very lucky to travel around the globe for Hofstra, meeting with prospective students and their parents.  I’ve done extensive travel to Latin America and Asia, and consider California to be my “adopted” homeland.  I also am fortunate to be able to travel to the North West and to spend time in Arizona and Nevada.

What sort of differences have you seen with students from different countries and different states?  

To tell you the truth, I don’t see very many differences at all.  Whether you are a high school senior in Singapore, or a high school senior in San Diego, your goals, aspirations and fears about “getting in” to the right college/university are pretty much the same.  Only the outfits and the accents are different.

If you could right now, what sort of advice would you give students on their college decision process?  

I’d tell them to stop for a moment, take a big breath, and to relax.  We know and realize that you are more than your GPA and your SAT scores, and admissions counselors are always looking for reasons to admit you, not reasons to deny you.

What is your favorite part of the admissions process and traveling?  

I love meeting with students at their high school counseling offices, listening to their questions and connecting them to Hofstra.  The best part of traveling is staying in hotels and not having to make your bed in the morning.  This year I’ve spent 103 nights in hotels!  My second nickname is the “Marriott Madam” because I am obsessed with staying only at Marriotts.

Have you participated in any traditions in different countries?  With the different cultures and such?  

I’ve been lucky enough to witness the Autumn Festival in both Beijing and Shanghai, China and to watch Eid celebrations at the end of Ramadan in Indonesia.  I’ve sat on the equator and climbed the ruins of Machu Picchu.  I’ve been very, very lucky to see and do many amazing things – all while traveling for Hofstra.