Campus Celebrity: David Zuniga ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Age:20
Major:Political Science 
Graduation year:2013
Where are you from? West Palm Beach, Florida
How are you involved on campus? I am President of Student Government for the 2011-2012 academic year, former Chairman of the College Republicans, rower on the crew team, compete with the Model United Nations team, and brother of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law fraternity, so I’m usually running around somewhere! But I love it, being President of Student Government, I get to really see a lot of students’ initiatives go from idea to success and can sometimes play a supporting role. It really is a rewarding experience and a position I do take seriously. You develop a bit of a jaded perspective meeting with members of the administration so much, but I see it as my obligation to relay as many student concerns as possible, while informing the student body as much as possible.
How are you involved off campus? I try to link the local community to Hofstra when I can, oftentimes when I’m at an event for work (as a staffer for a congressional campaign). I’ll be at numerous community events, where I make connections with organizations that may not impact me directly, but I can put them in contact with a student group. I’ve become immersed in New York State and Nassau County Republican politics through the campaign work I’ve done, and have recently taken on the task of working with the Long Island Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in an effort to find them some interns and engage college students. 
What is your dream job? I have no idea! I thought I did, practicing law, maybe at the federal level. The one thing I do know is I want to help improve people’s lives and work towards issue advocacy. If I could provide legal counsel and/or political consulting to an oceanic conservation group I’d do it in a heartbeat. I’m reluctant to admit I’d like to run for public office one day, but I am somewhat on that path. Before I do however, I do want to accomplish something and have my career that I could always go back to.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Hopefully I’ll be somewhat settled, in Washington D.C., New York, or South Florida practicing law while still involved in local politics. At the same time, working on Capitol Hill is something I could see myself doing in 10 years. I’d never thought I wouldn’t know what I’m doing in the long run, but for where I am in life right now, I have no complaints, just lots of opportunities

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!