Campus Celebrity: Coach Krista Kilburn-Steveskey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Currently in her seventh year as head coach of Hofstra’s Women’s Basketball team, Krista Kilburn-Steveskey knows the name of the game. Prior to coming to Hofstra, Kilburn-Steveskey was a member of the James Madison staff for four years and coordinated Duke University’s recruiting and scheduling, as well as assisting with all facets of the Dukes’ program. She was instrumental in the recruitment of Tamera Young, a two-time All-CAA first team selection and current WNBA starter.

At Hofstra, Kilburn-Steveskey has headed five winning seasons and three postseason appearances in six years and hopes to add the team’s shining record this year.  Here’s some insight on how she commands one of Hofstra’s most consistent teams.

You have some new players to your team this year. How do you think your players will perform differently than last year? 

We have 7 new players… 5 freshman and 2 juniors; Annie Payton and Anma Onyeuku, who had very limited playing time during the first two years of their career therefore, we have tons of inexperience, but we do have a very talented group.  We are different from last year and have a great blend of skill and athleticism.

Oftentimes, the women’s team is compared with the men’s. Does this surprise you or did you expect this? 

I don’t hear that as much any more. Women’s basketball is women’s.  We have a different style and a community fan base.

Are you excited for this year?

I have enjoyed coaching this group because we are young and there is much more teaching needed to aid in their development.

Can you summarize what your goals are for this season? 

We are shooting for a chance to play in the CAA Championship. We knew it was going to be a challenge in the beginning. But right now, our goal is to just win another game.  We are playing one of the most challenging schedules in Hofstra history.

What sort of routine does the team undergo before every game?

Gameday is rather routine. Shoot around, pre-game meal, and then players arrive about 2 hours before game time to get treatment in training room etc.  We get on floor one hour before game to start shooting, stretching and warming up.  Players have their own personal routines whether it be listen to music, sleep, dance, shower, etc.

How do the players practice ahead of time? 

We practice no more that 20 hours a week and have at least one day off in a calendar week. As the season and games begin the schedule is set based on when games are scheduled.  We prepare with scouting, film of the opponents we are about to play and the players are fired up and engaged on player personnel and what the game plan will be depending upon who we are playing. But great effort and competing hard against each other to get ready for game time.

Of course with the holidays just around the corner, does the team have any holiday traditions? 

The players draw names and leave little gifts in players lockers during the holiday season. Its fun seeing them try to guess who received their name.