Body Mod Blog: Dyed Armpit Hair – Trend or Terror?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

From the time that we girls begin our transition into womanhood, we are taught that our natural body hair should be removed in order to be hygienic and look attractive. Yet no-shave November doesn’t always apply to the male gender and more and more we see females banning their razors and letting their underarm hair grow freely. And while this act of feminism may be a shock for many female collegiates, an emerging dye trend is even more of an eye opener.

Recently tumblr pages and Instagram blogs such as, ladypithair have posted photos of women with noticeably pastel underarm hair, leaving us to wonder what the hell is going on. This trend may seem strange yet it is a way for females to rock what mother nature gave them while still maintaining femininity and edge.

Anyone can grow out their pits yet it takes a true feminist fashionista to go full unicorn from head to pits. Anna Biotics of ladypithair claims to have coined the trend, stating that she and her friends began bleaching and dying their pit hair as a form of fun and alternative self-expression.

Anyone can dye their head a crazy shade but it takes a real rebel to put a new twist on the old question of whether the ‘carpets match the drapes’.  So are you ready to commit to the trend? 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!