The Best Ways to Enjoy Being Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Ever since elementary school, we are taught that Valentine’s Day is a big deal. When we were young, we would countdown the days until it was socially acceptable to eat chocolate with every meal and that maybe, just maybe, a secret admirer would magically materialize. But with this day of chocolate and candy hearts, also comes a day of disappointment. From that first V-day where your crush doesn’t give you a card to the countless years you’ve spent this day of love alone, Valentine’s Day can be a big let down- for both single people and those in relationships. Yet if you do find yourself single on Valentine’s Day, don’t you dare spend the day crying over your ex. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this day without needing a significant other and help for you to realize that being single on Valentine’s Day may not be a bad thing after all.

1. Treat Yourself

Whether it’s getting a new haircut, buying an outfit that you look fly as hell in, enjoying the deluxe comforts of a Lush bath bomb, or simply giving your lady flower some tender loving care, use this day to spoil yourself. Like some old white dude (presumably) once said, you can’t love someone else if you don’t first love yourself and we often let this very important message slip through the cracks. Self-love is so underrated in today’s society and there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a little time out of everyday to do a little something for yourself. But as a single lady (or a taken one) on Valentine’s Day, why not use this as an opportunity to go the extra mile and doing a little bit of romancing on yourself. You definitely deserve it and who knows how to please you better than yourself?

2. Have Your Dream Date- with your bestie!

While it may feel like all of your friends are in relationships and having the best Valentine’s ever with their boo, I’m positive that you aren’t the only one. Everyone has a single friend, even if it’s not a best friend, so why not have a friendship date on Valentine’s Day to celebrate how much you love spending time with each other. Hit up a movie (Cough*, How to Be Single), take each other out to a nice dinner with lots of wine, or head to the slopes if you live in a chillier climate. Use Valentine’s Day to let one of your girls know how much she means to you as a friend and don’t waste a friendship opportunity worrying about being single. Enjoy being single.

3. Volunteer Your Time

If you’re not getting love from a significant other this Valentine’s Day, why not give it to someone in need? Volunteering is a great way to serve the less fortunate and making someone’s day will definitely put a smile on your face. Everyone could use some love on Valentine’s Day- whether it be elderly people in a nursing home who’s significant other may have passed away or puppies waiting for their forever home in a shelter, there are plenty of causes seeking volunteers. And although you may not get flowers or a goodnight kiss at the end of the day, you’ll walk away know that you did something incredibly special for someone in need. 

4. Host an “Anti-Valentine’s Day” Soiree for Your Single Amigos

Ok, so maybe you’re one of those people who hate Valentine’s Day with a passion and that’s ok! Instead of popping heart-shaped balloons in a CVS, channel your emotions into an Anti-Valentine’s Day party with some single friends. Decorate your place with some sassy decor (check out some ideas from http://www.bustle.com/articles/133812-anti-valentines-day-party-ideas-that-are-way-better-than-any-candlelit-dinner), crack up your favorite single anthems, smash a heart shaped piñata if you feel like releasing some breakup rage, and have a bomb-ass-time celebrating being a bad single lady. Screw pressures from society, you don’t need the fluffy rom-com nonsense stuffed down your throat anyway. 

5. Have a Singles Empowerment Movie Marathon

Even though Netflix is chalk full of romantic comedies, there are also countless movies out there with female lead who don’t need a man and do just fine. From Whippet, to Brave to, to Silence of the Lambs , to The Wizard of Oz, to Sucker Punch, there are plenty of movies that are amazing without a lick of romance. So turn off Bridget Jones and don’t you dare watch The Notebook alone this Valentine’s Day when instead you can appreciate some badass female protagonists whose plot lines don’t revolve around love. 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.