This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

False lashes are amazing. If you’re like me and your eyelashes are very short and don’t have much volume, false lashes are a lifesaver. The reason I choose false lashes over lash extensions is because you have the ability to do a lot more with false lashes.

Lash extensions are pricey and have a lot of rules that come with them. If you love mascara, you better forget about it because mascara won’t do so well with your extensions. Also, you don’t have much variety. With false lashes you can wear natural ones during the day, and switch them to full glamour lashes at night. The choice is yours and they’re super easy to change.

They are NOT as hard to apply as everyone believes. Before you do anything, cut the lashes so they fit your eyelid. Sometimes you don’t need to cut them, but if you do start from the end that goes in and cut off the smaller lashes. After I’ve done that, I take my lash glue (which I’ll mention below) and I squeeze a little bit onto the lash tray. Using a cotton swab I put a thin line on the lash. I bend the lash a little bit and allow the glue to dry for thirty seconds, and then I place it as close to my lash line as possible. The key to really getting it on perfectly is sticking it on the middle of your eyelid first, and then separately adjusting each side. Once both sides are done I give them a few minutes to dry, go over my lash line with a gel liner, and then I coat it with mascara.

This can look extremely natural when done the right way. My favorite brand, which is super cheap, is the Ardell lashes, which can be found at almost any drugstore or Ulta beauty store. Favorites: 105 Fashion Lash, 110 Black, 120 Demi Black

For glue I use Duo Eyelash Adhesive in white/clear. This is perfect because it is white when it’s applied but dries clear. They do make this glue in other colors, but I prefer the clear dry that way if I’m not wearing eyeliner it isn’t a problem, and even on top of liner you don’t notice the glue. Tons of makeup artists use this glue, and if you get your makeup done at M.A.C this is exactly what they will use.

I also like a few of M.A.C’s lashes. Recently I just tried out the 12 lash and this one was a little dramatic and more formal but they looked great and they didn’t look fake once applied. Those were about 20.00$ for a set though so I don’t suggest buying expensive lashes if you’re just learning how to apply. Ardell lashes are about 4.00$ a pack, or 10.00$ for a deluxe pack with four sets.

Another place I’m planning on trying is House of Lashes. I’ve heard great reviews about their lashes and those are definitely next on my list to try.

Practice makes perfect so don’t get discouraged the first few times if they aren’t on alright, I’ve been wearing them for about four years and I still mess up sometimes. But they are totally worth it.

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.