8 Crafts to Spice Up Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If there’s one thing we all know about college, it’s that dorm room living isn’t all that ~luxurious~. We want our room to be viral worthy – to be the cutest one on your floor, the place where all of your friends want to hang out, and where you can come to relax and enjoy your Pinterest-inspired décor. But one sweep through dorm stores proves that getting the cutest room isn’t always cost-effective, especially for the college gal on a budget. But one thing you can do? Get crafty! Here are eight crafts that will seriously spice up your dorm room (and get you closer to viral Buzzfeed fame).

1. A Homemade Monogram

My mom actually made this for me as a going-away present for my freshman year. In one sweep through Hobby Lobby, she got the letters, spray paint, and glue. And that pink ribbon that ties it all together? It was the bow that tied together my bedding. So, not only did that make an easy (and CHEAP) decoration, the pink matches my bedspread. Pretty genius, right??

2. A Gallery Wall

If you’ve come across any blogger Instagrams recently, you’ll see that gallery walls are ~all the rage~ right now. I started putting together this gallery wall in my room, and I’m a bit obsessed with it. The frames came from a $5 value pack at Target, and two of the prints were canvases that were gifted to me. The other three? I printed them via Pinterest. So, not only do I have pictures and quotes that flow, I literally customized my room aesthetic by building it myself. Making your own gallery wall is easy and cute (and Insta-ready!)

3. A Customized Corkboard

Similar to the gallery wall, keep your room theme flowing by creating a completely customized corkboard. These don’t have to be messy and crowded with reminders, important papers, and to-do lists. That’s what your planner is for. Pick some of your favorite pictures, knickknacks, and other memorabilia and pin them on your corkboard. I loved this particular one because of the detailing around the edges, but you can find one to fit your taste at any of the major dorm stores: Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, and more. Having your most valued pictures and memories up will make your room ~that~ much more special.

4. Display Your Coffee Mugs

This one isn’t even that crafty – I am OBSESSED with coffee mugs, so I placed my favorite ones on top of my microwave. Easy, right? If you’re like me, you have too many cute mugs than you know what to do with, and it’s a shame for them to sit in storage and not be admired. I took my three faves and arranged them so that they get the attention they deserve. And if you aren’t crazy about cups, you can display anything else that you’re proud of, from hats to jewelry to picture frames to nail polishes. The possibilities are endless.

5. Washi Tape

I didn’t start using washi tape until this year, and I am in love. I got these five rolls with my planner, so they match my planner aesthetic too (#win), but you can find washi tape for under $5 at any craft store. I have these rolls sitting in a mason jar on my desk; even though they aren’t being used, they still look pretty and act like décor. I did use these to line my file folder box (which I got from Target, also for under $5). This took me all of ten minutes, and now I have a customized file folder box that makes my desk that much cuter.  And if you really want to channel Martha Stewart, find other ways to incorporate the tape into your room, like on your corkboard or on other school supplies.

6. And Speaking of Mason Jars…

I have so many mason jars in my room, it’s a little insane. I use them to hold my washi tape, my pens, my pencils, and any other tiny things I don’t want to lose. There’s just something about them that’s cute, and they look better than average pencil holders. And this tiny burlap tie I have around the top? That came as a tie on an Etsy canvas that’s also hanging in my room. You’d be surprised at how many little things you can repurpose within your dorm room!

7. Carts

While this might not be a “craft”, it’s still pretty darn clever. I got this cart from Target, and I use it as a home for my Keurig, a picture frame, more mugs, and my shower caddy! The last thing I want people to do is look at my shower stuff when they come in my room (because, gross), and tucking it away on the bottom level of this cart keeps it out of the way and space effective. And you know what I slid underneath the cart? My shower shoes. Ain’t nobody got time to be tripping over those. This cart was cheap, and it was one of the smartest things I bought for my room. And even though it isn’t the cutest thing ever, you can make it cute by decorating it with things that are nice to look at.

8. And for the girl who isn’t crafty…

Buy your crafts from Etsy! These two wall hangings are gorgeous, and I bought them online. Etsy is home to literally thousands of homemade, dorm-friendly crafts, and you’ll definitely be able to find pieces that would look fabulous in your room AND for wallet-friendly prices. I don’t know about you, but I think that constitutes viral Buzzfeed fame! 

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.