7 Hacks for Looking Put Together In The Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As a Minnesota girl, I know cold weather. For 6 months of the year, it’s at or below 50 degrees where I’m from. But cold weather isn’t an excuse to not look put together, even if you are a lazy girl like me. In fact, it is even easier to look put together in the winter than it is in the summer. Even though we value comfort and functionality over style, it is super simple to look cute when it’s freezing cold outside. So have no fear, stay in bed a little longer and look fashion this winter with these lazy girl hacks. 

Start With Layers 

This is definitely a function inspired hack. Going in and out of classes or walking between the student center and dorms, the temperature changes a lot. Sometimes your winter jacket is just too hot on the inside, but it’s necessary on the outside. The key to looking put together instead of dripping in sweat is to layer! Layer with a tee shirt, followed by a sweatshirt, and pop a vest over top for a quick, cute look. Plus, if you layer correctly it gives the illusion that you spend lots of time picking out your outfit when really, you just grabbed your comfiest shirt and topped it off with a cute jacket.

Skip The Sweats

Yes, sweatpants are so cozy and warm. However, if you are trying to look like you have your sh*t together, they won’t help your case. Instead, throw on some jeans. Jeans are actually pretty warm and instantly make you look like you are trying. If you just cannot fathom the idea of squeezing yourself into some jeans, black leggings are always a great option. 

Pile On The Moisturizer

This sounds a little odd, I know, but speaking from experience if your cuticles are cracked and hands are dry, you don’t look as put together and professional. Keep lotion and chapstick on hand when it’s cold out. Dry hands and lips aren’t fun! 

Pop On A Cute Hat

Black Patch Pom-Pom beanies are live!!! Get them while you still can

A post shared by HofstraLoveYourMelonCrew (@hofstralymcrew) on

When the weather gets cold, hats are functional and essential for the lazy girl. Stay under your warm blankets for an extra 15 minutes by skipping the shower and throwing on a cute beanie. I love this brand of hat because they donate 50% of their profits to childhood cancer research.

Wrap Up In A Scarf

Throwing on a scarf with an outfit automatically enhances it and makes you look more put together. It also happens to be super warm. I always opt for a knit infinity scarf or a soft blanket scarf. Combine it with a sweatshirt, vest, jeans and black boots like I did here for a warm, comfortable, easy and best of all, cute look! 

Toss On A Nice Jacket

Nowadays, warmth and style can go hand in hand with jackets. If you want a more polished look, go for a classic peacoat. If it is really cold, a fur-lined hooded jacket is cute and warm. Simply jackets in grey or black look clean and chic and make you look way better than just wearing that Hofstra sweatshirt you slept in last night. 

Slip Into Black Boots 

A cute, functional pair of black boots are essential for winter. Throw some black booties on with jeans and a jacket for an instant stylish look. Check out this guide to black boots here. Winter is really the easiest time to look put together with minimal effort. Skip the shower, pull on a hat, swap the sweats for jeans, and you’re on your way to looking more put together than ever! 

Just a Midwest girl exploring the big city.