kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Stay Motivated to Workout throughout the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It seems like most of the time spent at college is either in class, the library, or the bar. If you’re lucky, you can squeeze in some sleep too. But what about the gym? Many college students have a tendency to make excuses for not working out without realizing that time set aside at the gym can do much more than just avoid the Freshman 15. We compiled a list of six ways to keep you motivated to stick to a fitness routine throughout the semester!

1. Make a schedule, not excuses

“Not having enough time” is a far too common excuse for college students skipping out on the gym. We all have our moments where the heavy workload makes even sleep feel unrealistic; however, most are just in denial. Whether it’s a 6 A.M. wake up call for the gym or a workout at the end of the day, find a way to make it work. Schedule your gym time as though it is a mandatory class, and you will finally stop making excuses. While it might seem like an extra strain, you’ll find that those added endorphins will be what get you through the days!

2. Sign up for a fitness class

Photo courtesy of PhotoPin

Whether it is Zumba, cycling, or yoga, there is no doubt that fitness classes are popular for a good reason. Signing up for a fitness class is a great way to ease into making exercise an obligation. Once you register for a fitness class, most establishments prohibit you from backing out without consequences if it gets too close to class time. If you are feeling unmotivated, knowing the class is basically mandatory is just what you need! Most of the time, you will walk out of the class happy you went.

3. Find workout buddies

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Sometimes the gym can be pretty intimidating, but nobody said you have to go at it alone! Finding friends you can work out with not only boosts your confidence in the gym, but it also makes exercising a more enjoyable activity. Plan when you’re going to hit the gym with your workout buddy as if it is a lunch date. Knowing another person is relying on you to show up is a great incentive to stick to it. Whether you’re going to lift weights, go for a walk, or try a new fitness class, having somebody by your side makes it a lot easier.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

4. Upgrade your workout wardrobe

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Just how a new dress can excite you to go out, new workout clothes can motivate you to go to the gym. If feeling cute and comfortable is something that will get you off the couch, then it might be time to upgrade your workout wardrobe! Athletic apparel has been making a statement as a more everyday look; I’m sure you’ve seen your fair share of students walking across campus with Lululemon pants and Nike shoes on. From those brands to Gymshark to Adidas and even Target, gym clothes are being made in ways that make them accessible to work out and adorable to wear.

5. Set goals

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

One of the most important things you can do for yourself to stay motivated is to set goals. Sometimes if you don’t know what you’re working towards, you won’t want to work at all. As long as you’re not obsessing over a number, goals are a healthy way to keep you excited to exercise each week. Nothing is more motivating than seeing the progress you’ve made and knowing the hard work pays off.

6. Find what works for you

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Last but not least, staying motivated to work out in college is all about finding what works for you! If you’re not into lifting weights or running, don’t force it. If you don’t like what you’re doing at the gym, you’re never going to want to go. If you know you won’t have the motivation to workout at the end of the day, stop putting it off. Find an activity you love to get your heart rate up, and exercising will soon become your favorite part of the day!

Jersey girl. Senior Accounting major at Hofstra University. Treasurer for Hofstra's Her Campus chapter. Raven loves entertainment, fashion, and fitness, and has a true passion for journalism. Be sure to check out her favorite form of social media, Pinterest: /ravenjtak