6 Ways To Keep Your Skin Safe In The Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
The summer effect has just kicked in and nobody is looking ahead to fall! This is the time of summer where skin health should be a top priority for those who are in the sun at any time of day. These are my six tips on how to keep your skin healthy all summer long from the sun!

1. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! – I cannot stress this enough. I know we all want the best tan possible, but you can still get one with sunscreen! Choose an SPF that’s appropriate for your skin type. If you burn easily, opt for a higher one such as SPF50. (PS: Make sure to apply lotion to all visible body parts to the sun and reapply every 2-3 hours!)

2. Hats: I’m a huge hat fan. Whether it’s a ball cap for a casual day out or a beanie in the winter, hats can do wonders for protecting your skin from the sun. My favorites for summer are cute fedoras from places such as J.Crew and Madewell and floppy hats. They’re extremely flattering and will continue to be a summer staple.

3. Sunglasses: Some of them can be pricy, but it’s important to splurge in order to get a good pair. I love taking road trips in the summer and opt for a polarized lens from Ray Ban. They prevent glare and protect your eyes from UV rays. If you’re into playing a lot of sports on the beach or outside in general, opt for a sportier lens from a brand like Oakley.

4. Cover Ups! This has definitely become one of my favorite summer fashions because they help protect your skin from the sun and make you look cute! The colors and options are amazing and they definitely help shield your body from the sun while allowing you to still look.

5. Timing: I know we all love to be out in the sun from dawn till dusk and while that’s not necessarily a problem, it’s still good to keep in mind that the suns rays are strongest between 10AM to 12PM. If you’re out during these times, make sure you’ve applied suntan lotion to all visible body parts, especially your face!

6. Moisturize: Heat can cause your skin to dry out, leaving burns, blemishes, etc. I love applying aloe every time I come back in from a day at the beach. It helps alleviate any burns and keeps my skin as fresh as possible. Also, take a cold shower every night. They give your skin the opportunity to breathe and recuperate, allowing you to press the restart button when you wake up in the morning!

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
MN native navigating NY one selfie at a time. Senior Journalism student at Hofstra University and current HC Chapter Advisor.