6 Steps to Take When Searching for an Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Moving out of the comfort of your dorm or family home is an important step in life that will impact you greatly. If you’ve lived with your family up to this point then you are probably itching to get out of the house and be on your own. If you’ve been living in the dorms for the past couple of years then you might be excited to decorate a room with your own furniture and style, unless you’re rooming with somebody.

1. Be Prepared and Get Help

Since moving out is an important step, it may be best to weigh out all the pro and cons of being on your own. Make sure this discussion had was made with family or friends. Yes, it is implied you want to move out after graduating, but it is a process that does not happen at the snap of your fingers so you will need help!

2. Look at Places

You can go on Zillow to look at pictures and information about places you would be willing to live. These sites do not show you the environment outside the place or the people, so it is in your best interest to visit places to see if you feel comfortable and if it feels like a place you belong.

3. Know what you want

Don’t let anyone push you into settling for something you do not feel in your gut is right, but don’t be stubborn. Have open communication with your realtor or with the person showing you a new place. This leads to the next step of searching for an apartment.

4. Be Open Minded

Everybody has their own idea of what their ideal dream apartment is and everybody wishes they could have it, but the sad reality is that you may not get your ideal dream place. Just because this may be the outcome you should not be closed off from other opportunities.

5. Budget

Do you have the money available?  Do not only think of the now; think a couple months ahead or years ahead. This is crucial because you do not want to spend all the money on your new place and realize you are left with nothing. Think of not only the price of the new place you will be living in, but also think of the monthly expenses and necessities in the long run.

6. Research

Do your research! Do everything you can to find out the ins and outs of the new environment you will be living in, the community, the safety, and so on. Not only do your research on the environment, remember to research the realtor to make sure they don’t scam you. In-depth research will only help you.

Current sophomore at Hofstra University majoring in journalism.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!