sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Keep Your Skin Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With June coming to an end and July creeping around the corner, it is pretty obvious that summer is in full effect! With hopeful temperatures of above 80 degrees and UV Indexes higher than 5, it is assumed that everyone’s mission will be to spend time outside soaking up the sun. However, amidst days spent at the beach and taking long swims, sun, sand, and poolside fun can negatively affect your skin. Here are 5 ways that you can keep your skin healthy this summer and still enjoy partaking in the activities that you love!

1.     Take Cold Showers

Of course everyone loves the feeling of stepping into a hot shower, but did you know that turning down the temperature while bathing actually does wonders for your skin? Taking really hot showers, especially in the summer, can often dry out the skin and strip it of its essential nutrients. A “cooler” shower is calming, will help with hydration, and even heel breakouts due to sweat. Do this two to three times a week and you will surely see a huge improvement in your skin!

2.     Drink Plenty of Water

There are countless benefits that drinking water has on the body. Along with aiding in digestion and circulation, the right consumption of water daily can keep your skin looking healthier than ever! It is recommended that the average person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day (better known as the 8×8 rule). By hydrating your body from the inside out, you can achieve a clearer and brighter glow to your skin. So if you simply replace those summer cocktails with water, you’ll be amazed by the outcome.

3.     Cleanse Before Bed

Everyone has those nights where they’re too exhausted to take off their makeup, and to most people, it’s no big deal. Of course waking up with yesterday’s foundation on is something that we have all fallen victim to once or twice, but making a habit of it can really damage your skin. While your mind takes a rest, your body is working hard to replenish the skin’s imperfections. If your makeup gets in the way of this process, it can lead to clogged pores, breakouts, and dull skin. Try using a makeup remover wipe like Neutrogena’s Cleansing Towelettes to remove all traces of dirt, oil, and makeup. Then, follow up with a facial cleanser of your choice to really clear out those pores. By cleansing before bed, your skin will be able to breathe and you will wake up each morning to the reflection of a healthy, glowing complexion!

4.     Exfoliate

Help your body get rid of dead skin cells for smoother and softer skin by exfoliating two to three times a week! Most people skip this step in their skin care regimen simply because they don’t find it essential or they aren’t aware of the benefits. When your pores get clogged up, the dead cells and oils from your skin often get trapped beneath the surface.  Developing a routine for exfoliating will improve your skins texture, help prevent breakouts, and even out your skin tone. Aveeno’s Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pad’s are great to use as a gentle exfoliate. So, as they say, exfoliating every other day will keep the pimples away!

5.     Moisturize

This last (but definitely not least) step for keeping your skin healthy involves applying a daily moisturizer. It is crucial to moisturize multiple times everyday to your face and body for softer, more elastic, younger looking skin. Try moisturizing the body with a calming lotion after the shower to lock in those nutrients, keeping the skin from feeling dry. Face moisturizers are an essential part of starting and ending everyday. Before heading outside, make sure you smooth on a moisturizer that contains SPF 15 sunscreen or higher to keep your skin protected all day long. Well, what are you waiting for? Go forth and moisturize!

Hello beauties. My name is Katie and I am a Journalism major at Hofstra University. I love to express myself in a way that allows others to get to know a little bit more about me! Sharing my creativity and new ideas with the world is something that I hope to pursue each and every day. After all, what is life without expression, creation, and imagination? I love discussing beauty-related topics such as makeup, skin care, and hair, as well as showing you guys how to complete fun and easy DIY projects! So, if I'm not cuddled up with my dog, exploring the City, or munching on some chocolate macarons, you can definitely find me here, writing my heart away. 
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.