This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With summer on its way, a lot of us may currently be inspired to hit the gym and start working out more. While creating a new routine for yourself and going to the gym with your buddies can be fun, it can also be a bit intimidating. If you’re feeling nervous about going to the gym for the first time, keep on reading for some gym-beginner tips!

Photo by Unsplash.com

No one is staring at you or judging you

A big fear of many people in regards to going the gym is that other people will be looking at them while they exercise and judge them for either how they look or how they are exercising. I’m going to let you in on a little secret: everyone is so busy working out that they are totally minding their own business! They are at the gym for the same reason you are, which is to get their workout in and carry on. On the odd chance that you feel someone is being creepy and is actually looking at you, just move to a different area of the gym or let someone know that you’re uncomfortable. The gym should be a safe space where people are coming together to make their lives healthier. 

Do your homework before you show up

It’s always smart to arrive at the gym with a plan in mind, such as what your goal is for the workout and what areas you want to work on that day. The best way to gather up routines and circuits, and most importantly – how to use certain machines safely – is to do some online research! Watch YouTube videos of different exercises for specific muscle groups, read articles on what areas of your body are best to work on together and how to use different machines, and look through Pinterest for different workout routines, which is my personal favorite! I have a pin board of exercises I like to do both at home and at the gym. Even asking a friend who frequents the gym a lot for help is a great way to learn!

Photo by Unsplash.com

Bring a lot of water with you

Do not show up to the gym without a giant bottle of water. It can be tempting to bring workout supplement beverages and drinks like Gatorade or protein mixes, but these things will not keep you hydrated the way water will. Make sure you are taking sips throughout your entire workout period to keep your endurance up, and to prevent scary things from happening (like passing out or vomiting). Save the Gatorade and protein shakes for after the workout when you’ve finished all of your water. Hydration is key for beginners and pros alike. 

Photo by Unsplash.com

Stretch, girl!

One of the most important steps to take in preventing injuries while working out is to stretch before and after your workout. Stretching your muscles warms them up for exercise and will allow you to perform your workout better with less pain, and prevents you from tearing, ripping, and pulling anything. When you stretch after your workout, it helps you recover faster and soothes your muscles after working them hard. Foam rolling is also a great way to take care of your muscles after a workout (here is some info on foam rollers). You’ll be less sore in the few days after your workout!

Listen to your body

You won’t be able to do crazy things at the gym for the first few weeks or even months after you begin going. Your body is something that needs to be guided and cared for, even when you’re pushing yourself to your limits. Becoming healthy and making improvements to your body is an ongoing, long-term process that requires both practice and patience. If you are working out and you begin to feel sick, faint, or just like your pushing yourself too hard, stop what you’re doing, sit down, and drink some water. There is a difference between pushing yourself in a healthy way, and going too far. You’ll be able to tell when something you’re doing is potentially dangerous. Listen to yourself!

These few tips should help anyone who is new to the gym world feel more comfortable and prepared. Remember to always be careful and use common sense when you’re working out, but most importantly, enjoy it! You are doing something wonderful for yourself, and it should be a positive experience. 

Gia Tims

Hofstra '20

Gia is a double major in journalism and Italian at Hofstra University. She is obsessed with yoga, pugs, Friends and Target runs. Gia loves writing and hopes to live in NYC one day to fulfill her dream of becoming a journalist! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @giatims