5 Thoughts About Attending Hofstra in The Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

September 2, 2015 will be the first day of school for many of us. This is a time for new notebooks, fresh pens, and an optimistic outlook. While the student in me is excited about all of those things, I am also very nervous. After finishing my bachelor’s degree and spending a year and a half trying to figure myself out, I am going back to school to work towards my master’s degree. Even though I am a bit nervous and a tad bit apprehensive, here are five things that excite me about starting school this fall.

1. Meeting new friends.

Entering a new school means being surrounded by so many new people. I enjoy meeting new people and learning about them, their lives, and their backgrounds. Starting a new school and moving to a new area exposes me to so many new people, new experiences, and a new environment.

2. Exploring a new city

Hofstra is located fairly close to New York City and going there also means that I am close to all the adventures and opportunities that the city offers. This means going to Broadway shows on the weekend when things aren’t too busy or hitting up Coney Island on a warm fall day. 

3. Getting Involved

With bigger schools come more opportunity to get involved and a wider variety of clubs and activities to get involved with. I enjoy working with others that share in my interests and collaborating on projects and events and I hope to continue this while attending Hofstra.

4. Content Focused Classes

Getting a liberal arts degree means being exposed to a wider range of topics and ideas and exploring how they all interact with each other. However, this also means that you end up taking a bunch of classes that you find uninteresting and not engaging. From what I know about the master’s program, the classes are focused on the information and skills that I will need when working in my chosen field. This also means that the classes are something that I have chosen because of my interest in their content.

5. School and Learning

I love learning and I enjoy going to school. I find sitting in class to be fun and projects and classwork to be an exciting challenge. Call me weird or what have you but I genuinely enjoy going to school and I am excited to get back to class.

Aislinn is a graduate Public Relations student at Hofstra University. When she isn’t in class, she is working with the Hofstra University Writing Center, doing PR for Her Campus, and working at the Hofstra University Center for Academic Excellence. Her interests range from Harry Potter and chilling on the beach to gender equality and writing pedagogy.
MN native navigating NY one selfie at a time. Senior Journalism student at Hofstra University and current HC Chapter Advisor.