stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Can Accomplish Over 5 Weeks of Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Get ready to say “Hello 2014”, and hello to 5 weeks of freedom! Most collegiettes have an enormous break from classes and stress, so why not spend those weeks being productive? You may not be taking credits at school, or working a full time job, but you can still accomplish plenty of things over your break. Everything from starting your new year’s resolution to redecorating your room will keep you feeling happy and successful this winter break.

1. Follow Through with Your New Year’s Resolution

Every year we make lists, goals, and determine things that we want to change about ourselves for the New Year. Two months later that list is barely touched and we fall back into a routine of our old selves. Now this doesn’t happen for all of us, some very motivated people will find themselves taking a running leap to starting their goals, but many fall shy of success once classes begin. So what is the trick?

Take advantage of five weeks off and get a running start on all of the things you want to accomplish. Once you start moving and taking small steps towards something big, you’re energy and passion will keep you from stopping. Try setting a goal with five steps and accomplishing one thing per week, this will give you motivation and keep you on track. Even better collegiates, you will have one resolution down and many to go at the end of break.

2. Indulge Yourself (aka Netflix time):

So you spent the last four months cramming for exams and running your brain dry with studying for classes, but now you have time to yourself. Take advantage of it; use the time that you have to accomplish everything that you’ve wanted to do for the past few months. Indulge in your guilty pleasure and at the end of those five weeks of break, you will be ready to hit the ground running for your spring classes.

Pick up a book, something that you’ve neglected to read since summer because you were cramming your reading in for classes. Turn on an episode of How I Met Your Mother, and laugh along with Ted and Robin as you try to uncover who truly is, the mother.  Even catch up on your pinterest obsession or your love for DIY projects, your friends will love the amount of crafty gifts they get when you return back to school. Anything to keep your mind going, yet relax yourself from a very busy semester.

3. Get Organized

Most people say this is one of the best feelings, spending a few weeks and reorganizing everything in your life. Take a trip to Staples or Target and treat yourself to new notebooks and folders, prepare yourself to begin spring semester with a bang. Organization and comfort is the best way to set yourself up for success, and with five weeks of nothing to you, you have plenty of time to organize your stuff.

Think of it as an early spring-cleaning, one that will set you off to a great start for 2014.

4. Reconnect with Family

Most collegiates have spent the past four or five months without their family, but with five weeks ahead of you, time has never been so precious. Use some of your break to spend some quality time with your family, even if you see them every day, a trip away with them could be one of the best experiences of the year. Take a younger/older sibling out to see a movie; The Legend of Hercules is sweeping theatres beginning Jan. 10, a perfect bonding experience for you and some family. Accomplish an amazing bond with the people that you love, one that will be worth it for year’s to come, even better part is you have five weeks to do so.

5. Get Active

Grab a banana and water and be prepared to sweat, because for five weeks of winter break you are going to get active. This might be a resolution for some collegiate’s, but even if it is not, it’s a perfect way to relax while moving. Something as simple as playing Just Dance on your Wii, something that can also help you bond with family, will get you up and moving this winter. The more active you stay on break, the more motivated you’ll be to continue you that throughout the year. Now over five weeks, you’re taking steps towards being healthy and having some fun while you do it. It’s the perfect mind jog for your brain, without spending hours hitting the books.

Don’t forget to kick back and relax a little, but don’t waste the idle time.  These tips are all bound to bring you joy and success as you take a nice break from learning.

I am a Freshman at Hofstra and I am currently studying Journalism. I love all things writing and reporting, as well as editing. I love sports, fashion, and music, my hope is to one day be able to write for a magazine geared towards entertainment. I love all things girl and Her Campus is my go to nightly read. Contact me at mrussell1@pride.hofstra.edu.