5 Grab-and-Go Breakfasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

How long have you been told by your friends, family, and all those “Get Healthy” boards on Pinterest that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? And how long have you been ignoring that rule, grabbing an extra-large coffee on the way to class, and telling yourself that it totally counts as a meal? Remember these dorm-friendly, grab-and-go breakfast ideas and start your day off right.

via

1. Granola. The best part about this “superfood” is that there are plenty of options:

·       Portion it into a Ziploc bag and snack on it dry between classes.

·       Pour some into a bowl and top it with milk, like you would with cereal.

·       Mix it with yogurt and fruits of your choice and make a parfait out of it! You can refrigerate it in a sealed container the night before.

·       Put some honey or peanut butter on a banana, and then dip the banana into your box of granola.

·       Stick with “old faithful”– stock up on premade granola bars or squares.

via

2. Smoothies. Dorm rules might forbid coffee makers (let’s take a moment of silence for that), but blenders pass the test. Stock up on fruits, veggies, and any other ingredients you want—now is the time to hit up Pinterest again for inspiration—and make a quick smoothie that you can sip while you’re getting ready, or even take with you for the morning.

via

3. Fruit and cheese. Perfect for those of us who like to “pick” at our food throughout the morning, this option is as easy as literally throwing some ingredients in a Ziploc bag. All you need is some cheddar cubes or slices and a sliced apple or fruit of your choice. Sprinkle in some almonds and walnuts for an extra kick.

via

4. Breakfast wraps. Forget greasy, heavy wraps stuffed with meat and cheese. To fill up without feeling weighed down, spread some peanut butter and sliced bananas, strawberries, or blueberries on a whole wheat tortilla and roll it up.

via

5. Muffins. Take some time on a Sunday to bake a batch of your favorite muffins (why not embrace the season and go with pumpkin?), then put them in the freezer and simply microwave one in the morning. If you’re too on-the-go to prepare them in advance,  whip up a mug muffin in the microwave—yes,  these exist, they only take two or three minutes to bake, and you can make them in your ceramic travel mug!

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!