This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Every time I go shopping at the mall, I find myself going into the same chain stores time and time again. These stores are typically overpriced and have the most basic styles that everyone is wearing. That’s why I have always made it a point to shop at local thrift stores. It’s so exciting to find unique pieces every time. The clothes are affordable, the looks are different, and you never know what you might stumble upon. Every thrift store has its hidden treasures which is what makes the experience all the more exciting. These four thrift stores are all in Nassau County and will more than likely have you coming back for more.

MyUnique in Levittown

This thrift store was much bigger than I expected it to be. From the outside, the building almost looked like a department store. The first and second floor of MyUnique encompasses an entire flea market called Unique Bazaar. The flea market is full of various little departments, including jewelry exchange, toys, shoes, cosmetics, collectibles, books, eyebrow threading, and more. There is even a food court on the first floor. The basement is where the actual thrift store is located. We found endless racks of clothes, shoes, and bags. Despite its size, MyUnique was extremely tidy and organized. My friends and I spent nearly two hours going through all of the clothes because we kept finding new things to try on. They have clothes for a wide range of sizes, as well as men’s and children’s clothes. While the prices were a little bit higher than other thrift stores that I’ve shopped at, it was still much cheaper than your average chain or department store.

Second Chance Thrift Shop in New Hyde Park

Second Chance Thrift Shop is a little store in New Hyde Park that my roommates and I discovered our freshman year. This thrift store, while a little small and cluttered, has some really cool stuff. They have clothes, jewelry, records, posters, shoes and household items such as mugs, pots, and pans. The first time I ever went there, I spotted a beautiful gold menorah in the window. Second Chance is also fairly inexpensive. Most clothing items range from $5 to $15, with the exception of bigger brand names. There is also a clearance rack, where everything is around $2. This thrift store is definitely great if you’re looking for fun and unique styles but don’t want to spend a lot of money.

Savers in West Hempstead

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out Savers in West Hempstead. Because of the location, I wasn’t really expecting it to be all that nice but this store has a lot to offer. They keep their racks of clothes organized by category and size and have rows of shoes in order by size as well. While some of the shoes weren’t the best quality, but all of the clothes were in great condition. I ended up buying a really cute sweater for only $8. They also have several shelves of well-known books, all on sale. This store stays open until 9 pm which is super convenient for a full-time student who may not have time to go shopping during the day.

St Vincent De Paul Society in Garden City

St Vincent De Paul Society has a little bit of everything, but they definitely have more furniture and household items than anything else. This store sells couches, tables, chairs, and other appliances on the first floor. The basement is where you can find both clothes and other miscellaneous items. Some of the styles are a little older but that is what I think is so cool about this thrift store. A lot of these older styles are coming back and if you really search, you might find a nice, timeless piece.

Journalism Major | Radio Television Film Minor | Fine Arts Minor Hofstra University Class of 2020