This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It is 2018: feminism and empowering other women is no longer a foreign concept to most of the world. In today’s society, it’s time to recognize boss ladies for all they’ve done so far. Here are 11 boss ladies that you need to know about:

1. Anna Akana

When tragedy strikes you either fall apart or rise from it, with Anna Akana— you make a revolution. Actress, YouTuber, comedian, producer, filmmaker, model, and author— you name it and she’s probably done it. Not only is she incredibly ambitious with her career, she’s a huge advocate for mental health awareness. After losing her sister at a young age to suicide, she spreads awareness to suicide prevention and shows videos to help her viewers. Someone who dedicates their life to make people laugh and prevent suicide is the definition of a badass woman.

I am every piece of furniture from your childhood. with @selashiloniphoto

A post shared by Anna Akana (@annaakana) on

2. Tammy Duckworth

This woman is a whirlwind of adventure and ambition: from being an American politician to a retired U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel, she’s already accumulated an impressive life. But later in life, she became the first Asian American women elected to Congress in Illinois, the first disabled woman in Congress, and first Congress member born in Thailand. With an impressive life under her belt, she utilizes her badassery to fight for veteran’s rights, women’s rights, and instill hope in disabled members of society.

3. Meika Hollander

Sex is fantastic, consent is sexy: someone who advocates for both in a safe manner is the best. The CEO and founder, Meika Hollender, has created a company, Sustain, that provides everyone access to environmentally friendly, safer sex through vegan condoms, lube, tampons, wipes, and so on. Their mission is to provide healthy products to keep your reproductive health in top condition, and they donate 10% of all profits to women’s healthcare organizations.

#WomensMarch

A post shared by Meika Hollender (@missmeiks) on

4. Fraidy Reiss

Childhood marriage is still present in 2018, even in the U.S.— yet so many people don’t know about it. Although being a victim of child marriage herself, Fraidy Reiss founded and leads a non-profit organization called, ‘Unchained at Last.’ This organization is all about helping girls rehabilitate their lives after forced marriages through legal action, mental counseling, all-around life securing, and bringing awareness to the ongoing problem.

5. Stephanie Sinclair

After years of being a pivotal member of the photography industry, Stephanie Sinclair is a boss lady everyone needs to know about. With unwavering bravery, she’s collected multiple stories and access to extremely sensitive human/gender rights issues in a worldly context to show the globe. Along with being a distinguished photographer, she reigns as Founding Executive Director for a nonprofit entitled ‘Too Young to Wed,’ which inspires and bring awareness to end child marriage.

6. Amandla Stenberg

Actress Amandla Stenberg is a voice for the future—from feminism, race, gender, LGBT rights—she speaks her mind. After her video ‘Don’t Cash Crop my Cornrows’ went viral, she’s become an internet phenomenon. She tells it like it is and brings discussion/awareness on the Internet on topics that people need to hear, she’s a total boss.

This clothing is so efficient I have like 7% drag

A post shared by amandla (@amandlastenberg) on

7. Winona LaDuke

Economist, environmentalist, and writer, Winona LaDuke, has dedicated her life to the preservation of tribal land. But that’s only a fraction of all that she’s done for the world. She’s also involved in presidential elections and advocacy groups. She’s an executive director for the native nvironmental advocacy, Honor the Earth, which is known for helping the prevention of the Dakota Access Pipeline, sexual violence in excavation zones, and more. Within presidential elections, she received an electoral vote in 2016 for Vice President and is recognized as the first Native American woman to do so.

Miigwech to everyone for backing my #kickstarter! Today we’ve raise over $78k already thanks to the 501 backers, and you! With 16 days left, I wanted to talk about some of the epic rewards I have for my backers. I have two spots left for backers who will come visit me on the farm or on the frontlines. You will get a first hand experience of the vision I have for #WinonasHemp and Heritage Farm. I also made these cool handmade water protector dolls, 4 have already found a home and we have 31 of them left. They are one of a kind made from traditional materials of smoked leather, horse and buffalo hair, wool and beads. You can also join me by sharing this project with 20 of your colleagues today and telling them that the next economy is on its way… and it’s indigenous peoples who are leading the way this time. Returning to economies that are kind to the Earth, with #hemp and with our traditional seeds, that’s the plan. Join me today! #indigenous #organic #economy #future #womenwhofarm #womengrow #regenerative

A post shared by Winona LaDuke (@winonaladuke) on

8. Tahani Amer

Being a boss woman doesn’t mean you can only be a boss in one industry, boss women are taking over the world— and outer space. Senior Technologist for NASA, Tahani Amer is taking the field by storm. While she’s amazing at her job, she’s also a huge advocate for education. Can I get a badass?

9. Joyita Mondal

Joyita Mondal became the first transgender judge in north Bengal. From dropout to judge, she’s faced a lot in her life, but that doesn’t stop her from inspiring other transgenders around the world with her story.

“She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, SHE PERSISTED.” ~ Gift from a GOP  ~ ———————————————– Sylvia Rae Rivera (1951 – 2002) ———————————————– Sylvia was a Latina trans woman & LGBTQ activist. She was a key figure at the 1969 Stonewall riot & also co-founded STAR (Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries) with Marsha P Johnson , as well as a founding member of the Gay Liberation Front and the Gay Activists Alliance. She was also credited with being one of the first women to throw a bottle at the police force. #SylviaRaeRivera #LGBTQActivist #GayLiberationFront #BlackAndWhitePhotography #bnw_captures #bnw_life #bnw_dark #MonochromePhotography #Fuck2017 #NeverTrump #DemocracyUnderThreat #Resistance #Anger #Frustration #HearOurVoice #HistoryOfWomen #StrongWomen #ShePersisted

A post shared by R.Y.E. (@children_of_semina) on

10. Sylvia Rae Rivera

Someone who needs to be known more in the LGBT history is Sylvia Rae Rivera. As a self-identified drag queen, transgender activist, gay libertarian, and LGBT rights activist, she spent her life fighting for the LGBT revolution. She founded the Gay Activist Alliance and co-founded the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries. Along with founding and organizing so many organizations, she fought back with drag queens against the police raid in a gab bar in 1969 and led a charge of Stonewall riots in NYC. This was considered the beginning of the LGBT revolution— just let that sink in.

11. Leah Sibener

John Hopkins and Stanford Graduate, Leah Sibener, is one part of the 3T Biosciences team. But this is no ordinary team, this company utilizes machine learning to predict the chemicals in cancer cells. Through extensive research, they’re modifying types of white cells to prevent cancer cells. Someone who’s using their knowledge and life to figure out what causes cancer is truly a boss woman.

There are so many boss women in the world just waiting to make a change in the world and these women are already making a huge difference in the world. Remember: Empowered women empower women!

Cover Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

Contrary to popular belief, Delilah Gray is not a fan of the song “Hey There Delilah.” Delilah Gray is the Founder of the Gray Times, a blog dedicated to career advice, plant parenthood, and sharing life lessons. She fell in love with writing when she lived in New York. She started because she wanted to help people, and she felt she could do that best by writing about what was happening in the world.  She has worked with Her Campus, Tokyo Journal, Carnegie Mellon International Film Fest, Platform Women, Queen V, and Long Island Weekly. She enjoys painting trippy portraits, watching dark cartoons, hiking, and spending all of her disposable income on her plants.