10 Struggles of A Dance Major

Posted -

Dance majors often don’t get enough credit. It takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears – and even more sweat - to get through a normal day. Not just anyone is cut out for four years of non-stop classes and rehearsals that are both physically and mentally exhausting. The work of a dance major is never finished, there is always room for improvement.

Not only is dance a legitimate major, it’s a difficult one!

10 struggles every dance major knows to be true, as told by a dance major themselves.

Other students thinking you don't have to take regular classes

Everyone has to complete the same basic requirements to graduate.

Being asked what you plan on doing with your degree

NO ONE KNOWS, OKAY?

Hearing, “Your classes sound so easy. All you do is dance all day!” from clueless people.

And having to refrain from going off on them, which will result in a 20 minute rant about how hard they actually are.

Never being able to do your hair

This is either a struggle or a blessing, depending on how you look at it.

Having tons of cute clothes and never being able to wear them

Sure, you could change out of your leotard into normal clothes between classes, but who has time for that?!

You can be a star in one class, and barely noticeable in the next

Being sore 24/7

OW

Having zero free time on the weekends because that is when everyone schedules their rehearsals

Who wouldn’t rather be at rehearsal until 11pm instead of going out with friends.

Dancing in eight different students’ final pieces

It’d be wrong not to help a fellow dance major out, but you don’t know how much more you can take.

Substitute teachers are a really thing

Your professor is sick so class is canceled, right? Think again. Here comes your substitute instructor for the day.

Comments

About The Author

Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter.

Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor.

In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.