10 Must-Have Staples For Your Spring Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Summer is right around the corner and it’s a great season for change. Whether you’re planning to travel, attend music festivals or simply relax on the beach during your vacation, it’s a great time to update your closet. However, what college student actually has the money for a whole new wardrobe? Not too many. So here are a few of the staple items for Spring/Summer 2012 that can be mixed and matched respectfully! Happy Shopping!

1.   
High-waisted shorts

High waisted shorts are flattering on all kinds of different body types and elongate the legs while giving off a retro-vibe. They can be denim or other materials, and can be found in the classic blue or other colors. High-waisted shorts can be worn casually (think, Daisy Dukes!) or formally with a nice pair of heels like this brown faux-leather pair from Forever 21.

2.    Anything lacy
Lace is HUGE right now and can be worn in an adorable-girlie way as opposed to looking like lingerie. Major ways to wear the material currently: crocheted lace shorts and lacey shirts with a peek-a-boo bandeau underneath.

3.    Colorful wedges
Wedges could easily be dubbed the “Shoe of the Summer.” Whether paired with skinny pants or a flowy sundress, wedges are a great choice. Stores are overflowing with colorful, fun options. Added bonus; they are much easier to walk in than stilettos. So indulge in a pedicure and flaunt those pretty toes in the shoe-of-the-season!

4.   
Hats, hats and more hats!
In my mind, a hat is one of the easiest ways to upgrade any outfit from okay to super trendy. What is currently the most popular kind of hat in the Spring/Summer collections? Big, wide-rimmed, floppy beach hats! Take a hint from the English…the bigger the better! Sport your fashionable headwear at the beach to keep the bright sun out of your face. Try a hat like this one from J. Crew.

5.    Unconventional blazers
A nice, structured blazer is incidentally one of the most versatile pieces that you could possess. While the classic black blazer might pair well with more things, try the summer-version of this staple and invest in a colorful one. Stores are carrying blazers in all of the colors of the rainbow. If neutrals are more your thing, try white as opposed to black. It is a clean, classic look that automatically makes you look more expensive and pairs well with just about everything.

6.    Sundresses
This is a no-brainer. Summer is the season that sundresses were created for, and the variety in the stores this season is incredible.  While being one of the comfiest things that you could wear in the hotter months, there is a sundress for every body type and fashion sense. Current trends seen on the runways are high-low hemlines, interesting backs and colorful bohemian styles.

7.   
Pastel pants
Colorful pants are back with a vengeance, this time showing up in pastel shades like mint green and pale-pink. Cropped, skinny styles are everywhere right now and look great paired with a simple, white top.

8.    Western-inspired boots
Country is having a major moment and inspiring numerous fashion trends. There are very few instances when you don’t see stars like Taylor Swift and Miranda Lampbert rocking their cowgirl boots. We should take a hint from these chic celebs! City dwellers and country cuties alike should invest in a pair of these boots to be worn with everything from sundresses to denim!

9.    Bralette Tops
These tops are so cute and a great way to keep cool in the hottest season. Show the perfect amount of skin by pairing a bralette with anything high waisted to keep the outfit from being too scandalous. Another hint…there are a ton of cute lacy bralettes out right now, like this one from Free People, so you can kill too fashion trends with one piece!

10. Toy watches in bright colors
Right now, toy watches are all the rage in the accessory world. While white and gold watches were popular in the winter months, colored watches are the new way to change it up for Spring! Like this fun watch from NY & Company—only 19.95 and comes in four colors!. And the best part…you can find very luxurious-looking toy watches for cheap prices! Perfect!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!
Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!