10 Flicks Every Chick Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1) Sex and the City—
Fabulous fashion, attractive men, and friendship; Sex and the City is the ultimate girly movie.  We all know that we’ve taken fashion and relationship advice from our four favorite females. In this movie, New York writer Carrie Bradshaw is finally getting married to Mr. Big. But, of course, nothing goes the way it should and Carrie ends up jilted and heartbroken. Good thing her best friends are there to pick up the pieces.

2) Bring It OnBring It On (the original, of course!) is one of those guilty pleasure movies that can be watched over and over again. And who doesn’t love Kirsten Dunst! Dunst plays Torrance Shipman, a new cheerleading captain who is leading her team to their 6th national title. But chaos ensues when Shipman learns that her team’s routine is nearly identical to their rival’s routine and she is forced to come up with a new and unique routine, before the big competition.

3) Breakfast at Tiffany’s—We’ve all wished that we could be Holly Golightly at one point or another. Her grace, her beauty and her fabulous wardrobe. Breakfast at Tiffany’s stars Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly, a fun-loving New York woman who is afraid to fall in love. Then she meets Paul Varjak, an attractive writer who has just moved in upstairs. After long talks, visits to the library and an arrest, Holly and Paul accept their love for each other, and share one of the most romantic kisses in movie history.

4) Girls Just Want to Have Fun—This classic Sarah Jessica Parker movie from 1985 is one of those feel-good, girl power movies that always leaves you feeling awesome. Sarah Jessica Parker plays Janey Glenn, an army brat who is desperate to get her chance on Dance TV. Against her father’s wishes, Janey and her friend Lynne travel to Chicago to audition for the dance show. But nothing goes as planned when Janey gets paired with Jeff, an untrained dancer. Will the two be able to work out their differences and win the coveted spots on Dance TV?

5) Dirty Dancing—
Patrick Swayze. Enough said. But seriously, the chemistry between him and Jennifer Grey could blow your socks off through the TV. The movie follows Frances “Baby” Houseman as she goes on vacation with her affluent family. While at the resort, she encounters bad boy, dance instructor Johnny. Despite her father’s disapproval, Baby develops a relationship with Johnny, but when her father finds out, Johnny is at risk of losing his job, and missing the final dance showcase.

6) Easy A—Emma Stone (don’t you just LOVE her?) plays Olive Penderghast, the school “slut.” All the drama starts when Olive lies to a friend about losing her virginity. Olive confesses the lie to her friend Brandon, who begs her to say they had sex so he would fit in. She hesitantly agrees and the word spreads like wildfire, but Olive takes the criticism in stride and proves to all the jerks how awesome she is. Her confidence is contagious; we all wish we had her guts.

7) Titanic—Does this one really need an explanation? Titanic is officially the ultimate romantic movie. No matter how many times you watch it, you just can’t get enough. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio make the perfect couple as Rose and Jack. When the movie begins, Rose is engaged, but she soon realizes that her feelings for Jack are undeniable. Rose’s fiance forces her to leave Jack and get on a lifeboat, but before the lifeboat leaves the ship Rose realizes she could never leave jack and jumps back on board to spend what may be her final moments with the man she loves.

8) 13 Going on 30—
“Absolutely adorable” is the only way to describe this movie, which comes with an awesome message. Jennifer Garner plays Jenna Rink, an awkward middle school girl who just wants to fit in (haven’t we all been there!). After being humiliated at her birthday party, Jenna wishes she were 30, and her wish comes true. With her life in fast-forward, Jenna realizes that her priorities were skewed and that she had missed true love. Now she has to go back in time and reverse her mistakes before it’s too late.

9) Bridesmaids— It is impossible to watch this movie without cracking up. No matter what mood you’re in, this movie is sure to cheer you up. Kristen Wiig is absolutely hilarious as Annie, best friend to the bride, Lillian, and maid of honor. But Annie’s attempts to be a good maid of honor fall flat and she feels upstaged by Helen, the “perfect” bridesmaid.  As Annie gets increasingly frustrated, her relationship with Lillian is strained. She has to find a way to make up with her best friend before the entire wedding is ruined.

10) John Tucker Must Die—Revenge is sweet! And hilarious to watch. This movie is girl power at its finest; complete with attractive guys and lots of laughs. John Tucker (Jesse Metcalfe) is the hot boy at school, who just so happens to be dating three girls. But when these girls find out about his cheating ways they decide to get revenge. Can they take down John Tucker, or will they fall for him instead?

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!