10 December Activities to Look Forward To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As fall has sadly left us, winter came and offers fun activities to tide us over until Christmas. For those who do not celebrate Christmas or are just looking for something to do, the city offers a great variety of fun activities to keep you busy:

1. Bryant Park and 14th St Union Square

Looking for some good food? Check out Bryant Park or 14th St Union Square. Whether you are just browsing or looking for sweet goodies, like chimney cakes full of Nutella there are a ton of neat things to see.

1. Winter Flea Markets

The winter flea market offers you a cheap way to score some good finds. With top vendors coming with their vintage clothes and reasonably priced furniture, it is the perfect place to go and search for that perfect outfit or christmas gift that will not break the bank.

1. The Rockettes

One of the biggest traditions is the Rockettes. This is a fun show featuring over 30 women dancing in sync with one another. Along with that are cute little stories that go along with the show and offer a fun and exciting way to visit the city with friends.

1. The No Pants Subway Ride

Once a year people can go into the city and ride the subway in their underwear. If you and your friends are looking for something crazy and spontaneous to do then look further then this is the perfect chance for you. This year The No Pants Subway Ride will take place January 08, 2017.  If want to know more information about this day check out the link here.

1. Polar Bear Plunge: Coney Island

A fun, yet chilling way to have some fun for a good cause. Get together a group of friends and take a nice dip in the ocean.  

1. Rockefeller: Tree Lighting and Ice Skating

For those who have not yet seen the Rockefeller tree, go! It is truly a beautiful sight and the perfect excuse to go to the city. Buy some hot chocolate and enjoy the glimmering lights. Afterwards, you and your friends or significant other can have fun ice skating at Rockefeller Center. A perfect day spent with great people awaits you.

1. The Ball Drop in Time Square

This is something to cross off the bucket list. It will definitely be crazy, but when you are so close to the city take advantage of all it has to offer! What better way to bring in the new year than in the city watching the ball drop in person.

1. Winter Jam in Central Park

Those who love being outside in the winter, this is the day for you. This year, on January 23 go to Central Park where you can snowshoe, sled or even learn how to ski and snowboard. A fun way to try something new or get out of the house. If you want to learn more about this day check out their website here.

1. Drunkin Santa or SantaCon

Every year people all around the world travel to the city dressed up in their santa costumes and go bar hopping. This happens in various locations all over the country and world and is usually cost free. So, find a group and get ready for Christmas as you go around and meet new people as well as enjoy some drinks. More info can be found here.

1. Cupid’s Undie Run

In February of each year, the Cupid’s Undie Run takes place. People create teams and run for about a mile through New York City in support of a charity. It is not only limited to NYC it does take place in other cities as well too. This overall, is a fun way to raise money for a good cause and do something crazy as well. If you would like to learn more you can find it here.

Winter is full of opportunities to go out and have a good time whether it’s visiting Rockefeller or enjoying the delicious food offered at one of the many vendors.

Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.