You Win, Carolina Cup: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

The hats were big, the pants were pastel, the coolers were painted, and the beers were cold. Carolina Cup 2012 was underway and rain or shine High Point was going to be there.

The day started off very early, like waking up at 5 AM early. This meant we were all a little delusional but ready to get going. Coolers were stashed under the bus but that didn’t mean we didn’t all have our drinks for the ride there. The cup is was a solid 3 hours away, we needed something to do right? And what’s better than drinking at 6 in the morning? If you asked anyone on the bus, the answer was nothing. By 9 most people had a solid buzz going and they didn’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

The bus ride there was anything but sunny and beautiful. It rained almost the entire way to Camden and people were starting to get worried that they might be in the rain all day. Luckily for us college students, instead of this being discouraging, this only encouraged us to drink more in hopes that we would forget all about the rain. This meant more beer, more wine, and more liquor, all before the clock struck 10.

When we arrived at the Cup people couldn’t get off the bus fast enough. The Carolina Cup gods had opened up the sky and the sun was finally out. We were ready to go. Arriving at tent C26 and 27, it didn’t take long for the keg to get set up and the music to start playing. If people weren’t already drunk then you were about to be.
A couple hours in, there was a truck blasting music and people dancing in the bed. It’s not a High Point party unless there is music and dancing right? At this point people were sufficiently drunk and living the “southern” life flashing their big hats and bow ties. The tent was both a destination and a checkpoint for people when some started wondering around to other schools. This was the perfect place to have a drunken run-in with your best friend from high school who went to a different Carolina school.

The day mostly consisted of getting drunk, taking pictures, walking around, and falling down. Our tent was told several times to turn down our music. We are no strangers to being told to “calm it down” because of our campus security, so this was no threat to us. This day only comes once a year, so we weren’t going to stop partying and stop drinking until the day was over.

As coolers started to get lighter and the keg started to run out, we were all getting a little sloppy. If you weren’t already blacked out and passed out somewhere you were close to it. As you looked around you could see people passed out, people hooking up, people throwing up, and people getting taken away by the police (oops?).  While the state schools were obviously the biggest and loudest we definitely held our own. No one could argue that we were having a good time.

The bus ride home was a mixture of people sleeping and people being too drunk to function, and that’s about it.
The next day was by far the scariest. Every time you would get a notification that you were tagged in a picture you cringed a little out of fear. Hoping, just hoping, it wasn’t that one of you doing a keg stand in your lily dress.
All in all, you won this time Carolina Cup, but we will be back next year.

Christina Buttafuoco is a sophomore Communications-Journalism Major with a minor in English Writing at High Point University. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, a lover of musicals, and an avid viewer of the Food Network. Christina grew up on Long Island, NY and headed down south to North Carolina during those awkward middle school years. Before she moved, her best friend ripped out pages from a fashion magazine and told her not to forget what fashion was. She didn't. Now Christina hopes to be an editor for one of those magazines one day. For now, she is so excited to bring Her Campus to HPU.