A Northern Girl in a Southern World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

As a New Englander born and raised right outside of Boston, Massachusetts a lot of my friends and family were taken aback when I decided to make the big 800 mile move out to North Carolina. Of course High Point’s gorgeous campus made me fall in love with the idea of the south. However, my decision to move was this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to live somewhere different and to experience a different lifestyle. As a sweet tea loving, Lilly wearing, pearls everyday kind of girl North Carolina has become my home away from home. Although I may be a want to be southern belle, I will always have my Boston pride. Here’s a list of why sweet Carolina is the place to go!

1. “Bless your heart”- Coming from the North where people are stereotypically rude, it’s so pleasant to have people be so friendly and warm to one another!
  2.  

(LOL!)

1. “Y’all”- Along with the friendliness, I am absolutely in love with those adorable southern drawls.
  1. Monograms- For some reason having your last initial in the middle makes everything way cuter.
  1. Lilly Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines, Jack Rogers, Southern Tides, Southern Proper… the list goes on. All I can say is that people in the South really know how to dress and how can you not be happy when wearing bright, fun colors?!

Sweet Tea- If you think Arizona’s sweet tea from the grocery store is good, come visit me and we’ll have a real glass of southern sweet tea (preferably in a mason jar). I have withdrawals from it in the summer, nothing compares.

1. Krispy Crème Donuts- I love my pink frosted donut from Dunkins, however if you are having a sweet tooth and it’s your cheat day go to Krispy Crème. There’s even an app for your phone that tells you when they are fresh out of the oven, warm and delicious.
  1. Fast Food- since we are on the food topic. I hate fast food back at home. Down here I can’t get enough of Bojangles and Chick Fil A. Chicken is done right in the south. Come on down for Bo Time.
  1. Carolina Cup- An excuse to get dolled up in your brightest Lilly dress and floppy monogram hat (because when else do you have an excuse to wear these ridiculous hats?) grab a date and his bowtie and tailgate the day away with all of your college friends. If you’re lucky maybe you’ll even see a horse. (PS if Blair Waldorf wears floppy hats, why aren’t you?)
  1. Football Games- Although HPU doesn’t have a football team there is nothing like going to other big state schools and being in that environment. Go Cocks!
  1. The music- Country music is just plain awesome. I’ve been to some of the best concerts down here.
  1. The weather- When I made the move I was clearly a little climate shocked. I was expecting the weather was going to be like Florida year round, sunny and 75. Although NC still has its chilly days you seriously cannot beat the weather here. As a northerner I still get to experience all of the seasons. The best thing, winter here is extremely short. I can still be in shorts or by the pool in October and March while my friends at home are freezing. Also southern sunsets are to die for.
  1. The people- I have met the most amazing people so far in these past two years and they will forever have a place in my heart.

So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and move to the South! Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Part-time Masshole | Part-time Southern Belle. High Point University '17. Alpha Gamma Delta. Always running late, that's my cardio. You're never fully dressed without a smile... or pearls!
Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed