This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Suzanne Collins’ trilogy, The Hunger Games, swept the nation for book-lovers six years ago, and left us with all the feels. Then, in 2012 when it was first heard around Hollywood that the trilogy would come into theaters, Collins attracted a new breed of super-fan. Now, with the first part (of the two-part feature) of “Mockingjay”, the last book of Collins’ trilogy, it left those fans who might have not read the books in a fit of even more emotions.

As of last Friday,  I had never been so happy about an adaptation of a book. Ever since the release of the first movie, I knew that Jennifer Lawrence (who is back and as flawless as every) who plays Katniss Everdeen, would do a great job as her character endures so much trauma as the plot unfolds. It takes a lot for an actor to put themselves in such a vulnerable position just to get into character and “Mockingjay” was proof that Lawrence did everything right. Beside her, Liam Hemswork (Gale Hawthorne) and Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark) both love figures of Katniss, were up to par for their supporting roles which gave all the ladies heart palpitations throughout the movie. Although, I wish I would have been graced with Hutcherson’s striking jaw-line more often, but hey, I didn’t write the books. All in all, acting got five flaming arrows out of five.

I would highly recommend reading the books before you even step foot into “Mockingjay”. There are so many small details of narrator attitude and so many “behind the scenes” thoughts of Katniss that it is almost impossible to watch the movie, unknowing of Katniss’ points of view. These types of details aren’t able to be added to the cinema; it’s the sheer difference between a movie and a book (books are better, obvs). Read the book and then give it another try. As a fan of the trilogy before it became an adaptation, I give the movie 13 districts out of 13.

As for the directing, they hit the nail on the head. I am a firm believer that things must be ‘adapted’ in a book’s transformation into a movie because like I mentioned before, books and movies are far different from one another. What makes a good book might not make a good movie (although that’s not the case for Collins’ trilogy, it’s perf). The plot was very dense, considering it deals with a lot of rebellions and the reasons for. Many new characters are introduced, so have a notebook handy so you can jot all of the interesting names down for future reference (or to explain it to your lazy room mate who didn’t come with). I would also recommend wearing layers, because just when they take Hemsworth or Hutcherson off-screen for a while, they bring them right back and sexier than ever, making you all hot-and-not-bothered. The settings and effects of every scene was very different from what I remember reading, but in a good way. You can tell that the director, Francis Lawrence, made every single scene have a purpose and it’s obvious that they did. The costumes and graphics evoked so many feels, that I left the theater with a new appreciation of Collins’ and F. Lawrence’s collaboration. So as for directing, plot and graphics, I give it five rebellions out of five.

Make your way to a movie theater (or a bookstore, whichever you prefer) today and start to delve into all that “Mockingjay”, or The Hunger Games Trilogy, for that matter, has to offer. I promise, you won’t be disappointed, and let the odds be ever in your favor.

Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.   
Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed