How To Keep Your Diet Going During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

So you have been hitting up the gym and cutting down on the sweets for the past month all to get ready to rock your bikini on the beaches of Florida. Why quit your routine now?  Just because Spring Break is here doesn’t mean you can’t stick to your diet and still have fun.  Just follow these few tips and you will keep your figure and still enjoy your vacation.

1.  Keep your workout going!
Why use a treadmill when you have the beach?  Running on the beach can actually enhance your work out.   The soft sand has less rebound than pavement so it causes your quadriceps, hip flexors, and glutes to work harder!  Don’t like to run? Walking on the beach is also great exercise and you will get a great tan! Also take advantage of your tanning time with an abdominal workout! Turn your towel into your yoga mat and do your usual crunches on the beach. 

2. Don’t over indulge.
It’s ok to go out for ice cream after a long day tanning at the beach, but everything in moderation.  Allow yourself one treat per day. If you know you are ordering pizza for dinner, skip the ice cream.  If you want ice cream, try a salad for dinner!

3. Try some seafood!
Seafood is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.  Omega-3 fatty acids, which lower the risk of heart disease, are also found in most seafood.  Remember, you can always ask for it grilled, blackened, or seared, NOT fried!

4. Low-cal cocktails!

The Cosmopolitan: Join the cast of Sex and the City for this 150 calorie cocktail! Just combine vodka, lime juice, and a splash of cranberry juice!  

The Mint Mojito: Skip the mix that is loaded with sugar and make your own!
At 150 calories combine rum, mint, soda water, lime, and just a touch of sugar!

Gin and Tonic: You will be sure to look sophisticated with this one and at only 103 calories it’s a win/win!!
Combine 1 oz. gin and 3 oz. tonic.  Spruce it up a bit with a slice of fresh lemon or lime!

Remember: You can always use a sugar substitute like Splenda or Sweet and Low to add the sweetness without the calories!

Follow these easy steps and you will be able to keep your bod in shape all the way back to HPU! 

Image sources: 
http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/4j/Cosmopolitan-001-de1.jpg
http://rlv.zcache.com/pcb_diet_tshirt-p235220643617638792z7tqq_400.jpg
http://www.thingsoftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/women-running-b…

Christina Buttafuoco is a sophomore Communications-Journalism Major with a minor in English Writing at High Point University. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, a lover of musicals, and an avid viewer of the Food Network. Christina grew up on Long Island, NY and headed down south to North Carolina during those awkward middle school years. Before she moved, her best friend ripped out pages from a fashion magazine and told her not to forget what fashion was. She didn't. Now Christina hopes to be an editor for one of those magazines one day. For now, she is so excited to bring Her Campus to HPU.