The Girl Can’t Cook: 5 Easy Recipes I’ve Learned Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

The one thing I looked forward to the most as I started my study abroad journey to Italy was the food. I had already prepped myself for the fact that I’d probably put on a few pounds eating the carb-packed dishes. But hey, when in Rome right? After the third pizza margherita however, you begin to crave anything BUT carbs. So my roommates and I began to experiment on our meals and found out that cooking really isn’t that hard after all (who knew). Turns out my mother’s secret plan to domesticate me might actually work. Here’s our top five easy-to-make recipes that will fill you up and won’t break the bank. (P.S.-These are also great recipes to make in your apartment at school!):

1. Spaghetti Bolognese- You know it and love it from the 1924 Prime Steakhouse on campus and guess what? It’s super easy to make! All you need is ground beef, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, olive oil,and some noodles! There are plenty of recipes that will give you additional ingredients to add but if you’re really strapped for cash (or a picky eater like myself) then these are all you need. Step one is to pour the olive oil, chopped onions, and chopped garlic into a pot to simmer. After about 5 minutes add the ground beef. Once the ground beef is cooked add a good amount of tomato sauce (enough so that it will reduce over time). Then cook your noodles and mix it all together. takes about 30 minutes MAX to make and you just need to throw it all in a pot and you’re good to go. Coming from a cooking novice this recipe is pretty much a no-brainer and it’ll fulfill your carby-food cravings. 

2.Inside-Out Burgers-When in Italy, and just abroad in general, you’ll start having cravings for American style cooking. What could be more American then a burger? Inside-Out Burgers aren’t your grandmothers hamburgers though. The ingredients include: ground beef, cheese, onion, garlic, ketchup, and some salt and pepper. The steps are really simple too! You chop up the onions and garlic and mix them into the ground beef. Next, work your way into the middle of the patty and stuff some of your favorite cheese and ketchup on the inside. Put the burger back together and grill or fry it in a frying pan on the stove till it’s cooked to perfection. The heat will melt the cheese on the inside so cutting into your burger will unveil the cheeseburger in the middle. Feel free to add some toppings and a bun to your creation! 

3. Spanish Style Chicken Soup-Who doesn’t crave chicken soup on a cold day? Even in Rome this comfort food is still…well…comforting. Must haves: chicken fillets, onions, garlic, water, thin noodles, tomato sauce, and salt and pepper. You can also include potatoes and carrots if you’re feeling the need of serious comforting. What you need to do is boil chopped onions and garlic with the salt and pepper in a pot. Throw the uncooked chicken in and let it boil on high for about 20 minutes. Bring it down to a medium heat and at this point you can add the potatoes and carrots. Dash in a little bit of tomato sauce (about 2 1/2 TBSP for 1 serving). Cook for another 15 minutes and add noodles. Boil that at medium heat till noodles are soft and there ya have it! An excitingly new take on delicious staple for a rainy day.

4. Spelt Salad: We learned to make this during an Italian cooking class my roommates and I went to and quite honestly…I’m obsessed. I’m not a huge salad person (my friends joke that I eat like a 5 year old) but this is so good even I can’t pass it up. Ingredients you’ll need: Arugula lettuce, mozzarella, black olives, tomatoes, olive oil, spelt, and some salt and pepper. Simply boil the spelt (it’s a type of grain) until soft, drain, and put into a bowl. Cut up the tomatoes (you only want to use the skin so get rid of the insides), olives, and mozzarella. Wash your arugula and throw in all these ingredients to the bowl. Next, sprinkle some salt and pepper in for flavoring and douse the salad in olive oil as your dressing. Not only is this low in calories it’s absolutely delicious!

5. Bruschetta- An Italian staple that also makes a tasty snack or meal depending on how much you eat! It’s also one of the simplest dishes in the world to prepare you’re going to need: tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, tomato paste, bread, basil leaves and mozzarella. Grab a pot and boil the chopped tomatoes and chopped garlic with the olive oil and tomato paste. Once boiling, reduce the mixture to a simmer. Splash some olive oil onto the bread slices (you can toast these if you want it extra crispy). Slice the mozzarella and lay the individual slices onto the bread. Next take the tomato mixture and pour it over the bread. For a finishing decorative touch slice the basil leaves and put them atop it all. It’s perfect for a homemade date night dinner or something to bring to your next family gathering!

There you have it! The most useful recipes I’ve collected since being abroad. These recipes not only encompass the flavors of Europe but are perfect for dorm life as well. They’re simple and easy so feel free to try them at home, school, or abroad. It’ll totally impress your friends and family and your cooking prowess will never be in question again!

Christina Buttafuoco is a sophomore Communications-Journalism Major with a minor in English Writing at High Point University. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, a lover of musicals, and an avid viewer of the Food Network. Christina grew up on Long Island, NY and headed down south to North Carolina during those awkward middle school years. Before she moved, her best friend ripped out pages from a fashion magazine and told her not to forget what fashion was. She didn't. Now Christina hopes to be an editor for one of those magazines one day. For now, she is so excited to bring Her Campus to HPU.