5 Tips For Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Organization is the key to success, in more ways than one.  Not only does being organized lower your stress levels, it helps motivate you!  It’s much easier to get things done when you are organized, so it’s less discouraging when you go to tackle your to do list.  Procrastination usually stems from the difficulty of the task, so by remaining organized, you lower that difficulty.  Now that midterms are over and the second half of the semester is approaching, here are some tips to help you get organized!

1.  Get an agenda that works for you.

Whether you make your own agenda or buy one, it may take a lot of trial and error for you to find one that you like.  Personally, my favorite is the Lilly Pulitzer Large Agenda.  It has cute little stickers to add glamor to your lists, and it has the perfect amount of space to write for each day, as well as monthly pages.  If you prefer, they have four sizes: jumbo, large, medium, and small.  Regardless of my favorite agenda, find one that works for you.

2.  Color coordinate.

Buy a set of rainbow colored pens, and assign each of them a job.  I use a different color for each course, another color for school extracurriculars, and another for personal things.  Then, I use one last color for things such as birthdays, anniversaries, vacations, etc.  It makes it much easier to look at your agenda at a glance (plus it makes the agenda pretty and fun!).  I extend color coordinating to my highlighting, as well.  I use 5 different color highlighters, all for different tasks: names, titles, terms, definitions, and potential quotations for my papers.  It makes it much easier (and faster!) when going through your readings to write your papers.

3.  Write down every assignment and its due date.

Not only should you write down test dates (in their proper color!), but write down individual assignments with check boxes on the days you need to get them done.  It creates a to do list for you each day, and it’s easy to stay caught up on your tasks for the day. 

4.  Include study time in your to do list.

It’s easy to plan on studying for a test.  It’s even easier to forget about it until the day of the exam, walking in completely unprepared.  When you are informed of a test date (and when you receive your syllabus) make sure to put study time for it in your to do lists in the days prior.  It’ll remind you that you have a test coming up and give you time to prepare.

4.  Break down your projects and papers.

When you are assigned a paper or a project, break it down in the same way you assign your study time.  Set aside time for research, outlining, drafting, and editing, and add them into your to do lists from the time you are assigned the project to the due date.   This will keep you from getting behind and pulling an all-nighter the night before it’s due.

5.   Keep your agenda with you at all times.

Having your agenda with you comes in handy way more often than you would think.  Any time things come up, write them down.  A professor changes a test date?  Make a note.  Class is cancelled next week?  Write it down.  Don’t hesitate.  The most common lie students tell themselves is that they don’t need to write it down because they will remember.  Trust me, you won’t.  Write it down.

Meg Thomson

High Point

Hi!  My name is Meg Thomson.I write articles for a website called News For Shoppers as well if you want to check it out, so there’s that.I'm really excited to be able to share things with you via Her Campus High Point!Cheers <3