This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Two photoshoots. Two locations. One jumper. Grey cashmere jumper. Basically my two favourite things in one clothes item!  

Truth to be told, I’ve had an ongoing love affair with the color grey probably since I was 12 years old. Grey T-shirts, grey wool coats (as you probably already noticed!), grey jackets… The strange thing is, most people would consider this colour boring or “basic”, as they like to say these days; something that is being overlooked and can get you lost in the crowd  – the “grey mass”. But on the contrary, I believe that this colour is one of a kind! You can mix and match it with other colours, and by choosing the right shade make those other colours pop out. Secondly, it is so cozy! It always makes me think of cold winter evenings or rainy autumn days, sitting somewhere in a warm café drinking a cup of tea and looking out of the window at the people passing by. Grey is the colour of comfort and, if anything, style.  

Has anyone noticed that just like black, grey makes every outfit look more polished and classy? Well, maybe the better way to say it would be “the right grey”. Obviously, how presentable something we’re wearing looks depends on the materials, the fit, and last but not least – price. Nevertheless, if you find a good grey cashmere or wool jumper, coat, bag, or even a pantsuit buy it right away! It will become your rescuer whenever you need it. Even more so, it will make your look more sophisticated in the matter of minutes, which is perfect if you are in a rush for a meeting (job, school, or otherwise), date or simply when you are in a state of “I have nothing to wear!” because let’s face it – we’ve all been there hundreds of times. 

I have been wearing my jumper probably more than anything else for every occasion there is. Over a fancy dress on the way to a party to keep warm, with a skirt to a whiskey tasting (don’t ask!), paired with a oversized shirt, and a striped T-shirt. And each simple outfit instantly became more interesting. Too bad I don’t have a picture with a dress, though… There’s a bow on the neck of one of my dresses which peeks out of the jumper and the outfit looks very distinctive compared to even the same old skirt or pants with a jumper!  

In these pictures, though, you can see me wearing it with a white oversized button-down, and a striped T-shirt, as I previously mentioned. Actually, it would be also really cool to wear some printed shirts to make the grey jumper really prominent! And if you’re still afraid that the colour is too boring, the statement shirt will help to show off your personality.  

I am, for instance, a bit of a geek when it comes to stripes. Just can’t walk past a striped shirt if I see one! So, I chose to pair it with the simple, yet elegant jumper and create a new look with a piece everyone probably saw me wearing too many times already.  

As for the photoshoot locations, we started with the one by the sea which sounded like a great idea, but at the end we weren’t really satisfied with the photos… Something just didn’t work out, and my face is so red in the most photos, for some reason! It’s probably the freezing cold weather that day! 

So, we decided to repeat the photoshoot in a warmer place, and it just so happened that the Finnish Museum of Natural History (Luomus) had a free entrance the following week. It was great! I went there for the first time that day, but definitely not my last. The place is stunning! Not only the exhibition-wise (there are dinosaurs, c’mon!), but also architecture-wise. The staircase alone is worth a visit!  

So, that’s that – two locations for one precious jumper. I think we should stick to the inside locations, though, before it‘s at least 15 degrees out because my face doesn’t fancy the camera if I can’t even feel it!  

Wearing:

• Jumper, black jeans, button-down, T-shirt – H&M
  • Jeans blue – Espirit
  • Trainers –  Nike
  • Boots  – old ones

Photo credits: Maija Huitu & Nanna Viikinkoski                                                                        

Helsinki Contributor