This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This recipe has been a hit during our last two bake sales, so we figured it’s about time to spill the beans! This banana bread works very well as a vegan baking recipe for beginners because the bananas bind the ingredients perfectly, so there’s not much room for error. Plus, it’s healthy, as using fruit gives the whole ensemble a very sweet flavor without need for much sugar at all.

Because I started baking this in the UK, measurements are in cups. A good rule of thumb is to use a Moomin mug, as it equals roughly one cup!

You will need:

• 2 ½ cups flour 
  • 1 ½  tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½  tsp salt
  • About 3-4 medium-sized bananas (this totally depends on their size; sometimes 2 large ones is enough! The recipe works best when they are slightly brown or bruised)
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil (e.g. sunflower)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 cup plant based milk (I use soya or oat milk; coconut milk also works well!)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 180º C and line a baking tray with baking paper. The baking tray I use is about 17x25cm.
  2. Mash bananas with a fork
  3. Mix bananas with plant-based milk, oil and sugar
  4. Mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in a large bowl
  5. Add wet ingredients (the banana mixture) to dry ingredients slowly, mixing well and making sure the flour does not create any lumps
  6. Add mixture to baking tray
  7. Bake for approx. 1h 10 min

The banana bread will be done when you can poke it in the center with e.g. a knife or fork, and it comes out clean.

Enjoy!

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.
Helsinki Contributor