Quick Breakfast Ideas for Busy Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Every collegiette knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but very few of us are in Masterchef-mode at 6 am. Since skipping breakfast is not a good idea, here are a couple of quick breakfast ideas that let you hit snooze one more time AND have a healthy start to your day.

Overnight oats

This one’s great, because you can do all the work the night before and your breakfast will be ready and waiting for you when you wake up.

Basically, you need:

• Porridge oats (around 2 dl, use more or less depending on how much you want)
  • A liquid of your choice: yoghurt or milk, a vegan version of either of those, or even water
  • Dried fruit/nuts/chia seeds/honey/whatever you happen to have in your cupboards

Mix the ingredients up in a cereal bowl so that it’s quite runny (the oats will soak up the liquid a bit) but not too watery, and leave it in the fridge overnight. In the morning when you’re ready to eat, throw some fresh fruit or berries on top to make it extra healthy and delicious.

(Extra time saving tip: make your overnight oats in a plastic container that has a tight lid. That way you can take your breakfast on the go if you’re reeeaallly pressed for time. Don’t forget to grab a spoon!)

Green smoothie

Super healthy, super trendy and super refreshing. And so, so easy.

You’ll need:

• A banana
  • A big handful of baby spinach
  • Apple juice (1-2 dl)
  • Lime juice
  • A small chunk of fresh ginger

Step one: throw everything into a blender and blend until it’s all smooth and green. And that’s it! There is no step two.

(Extra tip if you’re feeling super tired: swap the apple juice for green tea for some much needed caffeine and antioxidant goodness  – just make sure the tea has cooled down before pouring it into the blender.)

Breakfast sandwich

This is almost like a hotel breakfast (almost), but everything is stuffed into a sandwich so it’s quick and easy to eat on the go. You need:

• Rye bread (something like Reissumies would be perfect)
  • Cheese slices
  • An egg (plus oil for frying)
  • Cucumber, lettuce, bell pepper, or any other veggies you fancy

This is not very complicated, either. Fry the egg, rinse and chop your veggies, and sandwich everything between two slices of rye bread. Wrap in cling film and you’re good to go!

Passionate about social media, food and travel. Former Editor-in-Chief of HC at Helsinki.