Movie Buff’s Guide to Fall 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Fall is the time for new beginnings: It might manifest in the form of a new haircut, new job or my personal favorite, loads and loads of new movie releases. As summer is officially over and the cold, dark fall nights take over, there is no better way to spend your free time than getting cozy at the movies. Here are my personal picks from this year’s film releases that should cater to all kinds of tastes and preferences. Grab your popcorns and get settled for a fall full of movie magic!

OCTOBER (Historical films):

Marshall

Marshall tells a true story of a young lawyer called Thurgood Marshall, who later became the first African-American judge of the U.S. Supreme Court, and how he battled against prejudice and racism in order to win a high-profile court case. The movie is set in the pre-WW2 era, so if you are into historic films with inspiration from true events, this flick seems like one worth checking out!

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women is also based on true events, as it tells the story of how a psychologist William Moulton Marston, together with his wife and mistress, created the legendary yet controversial character of Wonder Woman. The setting for this film seems interesting, since polyamorous relationships don’t often get visibility in Hollywood movies. And also, Wonder Woman is badass!

Tuntematon sotilas

Tuntematon sotilas (aka The Unknown Soldier) offers a new take on Väinö Linna’s renowned novel, as it is actually based on an original unabridged version of the story called Sotaromaani. The movie has been in the making for years now, and the expectations are high. For those who’ve not heard of the novel or the previous movie interpretations Tuntematon sotilas is a story of a machine gun company’s experiences in the Finnish Continuation War. The novel and Edvin Laine’s 1955 movie version have a special place in the heart of Finns, so this is a perfect movie to catch to celebrate Finland’s 100th year of independence.

NOVEMBER (Action, adventure and thrills):

Murder on the Orient Express

Agatha Christie and our favorite Belgian detective Hercule Poirot are back! Murder on the Orient Express is a thriller of the classic kind, depicting a murder on a train and one man trying to solve it with the help of nothing but his wits. The movie is packed with loads of A-list actors such as Johnny Depp, Dame Judy Dench and Penélope Cruz — quality acting should be guaranteed!

Justice League

The recent DC movies have mostly been disappointing, and meh-okay at best, but the long-awaited Justice League might just be the one to break the spell. Batman and Superman are starting to sound like old news already, but seeing Gal Gadot again as Wonder Woman and Jason Momoa first time as Aquaman are reasons enough to see if this movie has what it takes to please their demanding fans.

DECEMBER (Nostalgia):

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Could the time move any slower? It feels like December can’t get here fast enough! The Star Wars movie franchise has finally redeemed itself (let’s not even mention episodes I-III) and the long-awaited next movie in the saga is bound to be nothing less than epic. Star Wars: The Last Jedi has already caused tons of speculation of who the name of the movie might refer to, but personally I’m hoping it means that we are gonna get a lot more screentime for our beloved Luke Skywalker than in the last movie.

The Greatest Showman

The Greatest Showman is an original musical starring Hugh Jackman as P.T. Barnum, a visionary man who established the famous Barnum & Bailey Circus and played a part in the creation of show business. This movie seems to promise beautiful visuals and good music which should be perfect for bringing a dash color and brightness into the darkest time of the year.  

Picture by Pixabay

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome.