How the Tom of Finland Movie Made Me Proud of Finland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This year is Finland’s centenary year with a diverse cultural program related to it. Tom of Finland is a part of this program. It tells the story of Touko Laaksonen (19201991), a creator of homoerotic art, known around the world as Tom of Finland. The influence of his work can be seen widely in the fields of art, fashion, design and popular culture worldwide. After the movie ended I was sitting in the dark and felt a bit of a pride in my heart for our small nation. It made me think of the state of human rights, especially the rights of sexual minorities in contemporary Finland.

Same-sex marriage was legalized in a great amount of nations before Finland, which has been shocking for me personally. Finns usually see Finland as a model country for equality along with other Nordic countries. We were one of the first to give political rights to women and we had a prominent feminist writer, Minna Canth, in the 19th century. Finland is one of the most equal places in the world for women and men. However, we have been lacking in such an important area as same-sex marriage, in the 21st century. The message of this nation to our sexual minorities has been that they are not equal. Their love isn’t as important as others’. Now, it has finally changed. On the 1st of March same-sex marriage was legalized in Finland.

Tom of Finland gives us a glimpse into the history of sexual minorities in Finland from the Continuation War (19411944) until the end of the life of Touko Laaksonen in the 1990’s. Touko also visits Berlin and Los Angeles which puts Finland and the question of the rights of sexual minorities in a bigger context. The movie is touching, with a rollercoaster of feelings. It makes the viewer feel sadness and anger for the violation of human rights but leaves hope and happiness in the end. The characters are struggling for a better world, with love and art as their weapons. The struggle is shown in things like having the right to share your life with the person you love, and the right of being a fully recognized citizen and a human being in the eyes of the nation and society.

The movie concentrates on showing the reality of a minority living in a world run by the majority, with the context of history, showing why human rights are an important issue. The movie also puts Finland in the global context by showing the attitudes towards homosexuality in Germany and USA. You know the feeling when you go abroad and someone asks “What is Finland like?” and while you’re explaing your home country, you end up finally realizing how great rye bread and the Finnish summer are? We can’t see things close to us clearly before they are a bit further away. Tom of Finland makes us think how we are and what we should be as a nation when it comes to the rights of sexual minorities.

Tom of Finland was decided to be released as a part of the Finland 100 centenary program. The parliament had just decided on the future of same-sex marriage before the movie release date was set, which was perfect timing. Together these two things show the nation level support for same-sex marriage, an important message from us to the other countries and from our nation to our citizens. The movie is an apology for our history. By making this movie a part of the Finland 100 centenary program, Finland tells every one of its sexual minorities: We are sorry we did this to you, but there’s hope. Today you are all equal in the eyes of our society. Love always wins.

Second year Asian Studies student. Enthusiastic about China, constant self-improvement, and all kinds of cute cakes.
Helsinki Contributor