This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

A snatch of Tim Urban’s Ted-talk “Inside the mind of a master procrastinator” perfectly describes what is usually going on in the mind of a procrastinator. Urban presents an idea that a procrastinator’s brain works differently from a non-procrastinator’s, i.e. when there is work to be done and you tell yourself to get started on it, the “instant gratification monkey” in your brain goes “totally agree, but also, let’s just open Google Earth and let’s zoom in to the bottom of India, like 200 feet above the ground, and we’re going to scroll up two and a half hours till we get to the top of the country so we can get a better feel for India…”

I think in some way we are all procrastinators, especially when it comes to studying. It is easy to put things off until tomorrow, but when the deadline is close enough we start to panic. The pressure of deadlines might help some people to perform better, but there is a huge risk that the result will simply be a disaster. So is there any way to fight procrastination?

There is a lot of online information about this topic, but here are some tried-and-tested tips which I find most useful:

1. Find what motivates you

Motivation is the key to achieving goals. To stay motivated you can, for example, think about why you started, reward yourself after completing goals/tasks (here are some suggestions) and read motivational quotes (you can find more about staying motivated here). Sometimes we have to deal with large projects, which can last months or even years (e.g. writing a thesis). To keep your motivation up during the whole project, it is reasonable to set smaller goals and keep a journal so that you can see the progress.

2. Even if you do not feel motivated, just try getting started anyway

A lot of times, the hardest part is getting started. Try to make a commitment to spend at least 5-10 minutes each day on your task. Five minutes might not sound like a long time, but once you get started, it is much easier to keep going. You might find yourself committing on a task an hour or more each day. 

3. Know yourself

This might sound obvious, but you need to figure out what your personal learning style is. When I was searching for helpful tips to fight procrastination, I found a lot of articles telling you how to change your daily routine to become a better person. There were a lot of things like “wake up at 5 am, go for a run, do yoga, meditate…”, but this does not work for everyone. I believe that creating a daily routine is a good thing, but we are all different and only you can know what works best for you. However, research shows that how you start off your morning can have a big impact on how the rest of your day proceeds. That is why no matter what time you wake up, it might be useful to pay attention on your morning routines. Here are some examples that should be an inspiration to anyone who is interested in this topic.

4. Create a productive study environment

It is a proven fact that personalizing a study environment can improve your ability to remember information. Besides, it is easier to get started if the place where you study is both cozy and organized, i.e. inviting. Decoration is one way to make your study environment more comfortable. Wall quotes will inspire and give you energy for preparing tasks, plants will improve air quality in your room and help you concentrate, candles will bring more light and make your study space lovely. It is up to you which decorations to choose, but remember one thing: do not over-decorate, because a study space should not make you sleepy or disturb your concentration.

5. Cooperate

Two heads are better than one! Working with a study partner or group can have many benefits and help reduce the potential for procrastination. You can ask your study partner for help if you get stuck, you can share your ideas and get useful feedback. Discussion might help you to think about your task from different perspective.

Pictures by Unsplash

Helsinki Contributor