Campus Cutie: Emma Mannfors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 6th

Major: English philology and astronomy.

Hometown: I was born in Helsinki but grew up in Ann Arbor, MI.

Relationship status: Single

Interests: I love pretty much any kind of art, especially painting and drawing and I’ve really gotten into miniatures in the past year or so. I watch a lot of movies and read a lot, and I’m starting an archery class this month.

What’s your favorite book and why?The Kin by Peter Dickinson. It’s got a great mix of fantasy, adventure and history.

Who’s your celebrity crush?I’m not sure I’ve ever had a celebrity crush, but I like Johnny Depp as an actor. Also, most of the cast of the Avengers.

Favorite place in Helsinki?Anywhere by the sea.

If you could time travel, where would you go?I think I’d have a hard time choosing! There’s so many fascinating periods in history. Maybe I’d go visit the ancient world.

Have you been involved in any extracurricular activities at our campus, like clubs, organizations etc.?Just lots of awesome SUB parties and some sports outings.

Where can we find you on a Saturday night?At home, usually doing homework or procrastinating by drawing or watching movies.

Who is your role model?My mother. She raised me on her own and has always been extremely independent and ready to take chances.

Best class taken at the University of Helsinki so far?Dr. Peterson’s Language and Gender class. Though any class by Nely (Keinänen) and Joe (Flanagan) is awesome.

What are your plans after graduation?I’m considering continuing my studies as well as moving abroad one day.

What advice would you give to our new freshmen?Do not delete your BA thesis off your computer until you have your degree in your hand. Also, keep up with the degree requirements. There is nothing more annoying than having your graduation be delayed because of 5 credits you forgot to take freshman year. But, most of all enjoy your time at the university!

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.