books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

9 Things to Do & Not to Do at Vappu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

It is finally here! Time for Vappu, that is. The end of April slash beginning of May for most of us marks the end of academic school year and the beginning of summer and is loaded with cheerful spirits, wild parties and nostalgic traditions. For students, Vappu is probably the biggest celebration of the year and if this is your first student Vappu ever, you might want to make sure you don’t miss out on anything. Here are a few tips on how to make your Vappu as memorable as possible and how to avoid any unfortunate mishaps.

DO Buy Tickets to a Student Vappu Party — On Vappu eve Helsinki will be filled with different student-related parties and events. Since there are no guarantees that the weather will be favourable enough to stay out all night, getting tickets to a party is a smart (and fun!) plan. Also, if you’re spending your vappu in overalls, there is a big chance that you won’t get into a bar or a club that is not hosting a student party. What’s more, many of the parties organized by big student organizations have popular artists performing, for example JVG at Circus hosted by law and med students, or Sanni at Kaivohuone hosted by Aalto University business students. For even more events see our other Vappu-related article on where to go and what to do on Vappu in Helsinki here.

DO Go Hang Out in a Park — If only the weather allows, sitting down for drinks and snacks in a park with your friends is the best way to kick off the official Vappu celebrations. Most parks in Helsinki will be filled with students and other partiers, but especially Ruttopuisto park and Kaisaniemi park are places worth checking out. 

DO Party with Teekkarit — Aalto University’s students of technology aka teekkarit are known for their insane parties, crazy traditions and hilarious pranks and practical jokes around Vappu, which they consider is the most important festivity of the year. If you’ve never spent time partying with teekkarit, this is your chance. Venture out to Otaniemi, if you dare, and you are bound to bump into loads of parties and happenings, especially the infamous street party at a small crossroads close to the bus terminus. Teekkarit will also start their vappu shenanigans at least one week in advance, so there’s plenty of opportunities to get a taste of their wacky traditions. Teekkarivappu will surely be a party unlike anything else you’ve seen before! See here for more information on their traditions.

DO Hang a Plastic Cup from Your Overalls — Again, this is something that we can learn from teekkarit. Making sure that you have a durable plastic cup or such (in some cases a plastic champagne glass) hanging from your overalls ensures that you will always be able to accept that random offer of champagne or wine or any beverage, really (which on Vappu you are bound to get). The cup will also come in handy in Ullanlinnanmäki when you need something to drink your sima from.

DO Prepare for Ullis in Advance — As we all know, getting up after a long night of heavy partying to go on a picnic in a semi-remote park can feel like a drag. Especially so, if you don’t have anything to eat and the trouble of preparing something just feels like too much of a hassle. That is why it is important to a) make all your picnic goodies ready in advance and ready to go, b) make lots of it and c) make sure that it is fulfilling. This way, just the thought of biting into the delish food you’ve prepared for yourself (and hopefully your friends) will help you get on that bus or tram and head to Ullis. “I really regret coming to Ullis to eat and drink and spend time with my friends” said no one ever!

DON’T Put on Your Graduation Cap Too Early — Every year there are people who make this mistake and especially freshmen might not be aware of this: the cap is not allowed be put on before the statue of Havis Amanda has been “capped”, which is usually at 6 p.m. on Vappu Eve. Teekkarit are an exception to this, since they have to wait until midnight.

DON’T Forget Warm Clothing — This seems like an obvious remark, but seriously, Vappu in Finland is never as warm as we think it is. Spending two days straight outside, probably sitting on the ground for hours means that the odds of getting cold and maybe even sick are pretty high (been there, done that). So just as an annoying reminder kids, remember to dress up warmly and don’t forget: layers, layers, layers!

DON’T Lose Your Graduation Cap — In all honesty, some of you are gonna lose it anyway, but just to make sure you get it back if you do, write down your name and phone number inside the cap and hope for the best that the person who finds it will have the decency to return it. Hold on to your caps, people, and party away!

DON’T Litter — Especially on May Day when Ullanlinnamäki fills with hundreds of people for a massive picnic, there is bound to be a lot of littering. Take a couple of plastic bags with you to gather all your waste in so you can just throw it away in one of the parks big dumpsters as you leave. Also, did you know that if you collect empty champagne bottles and return them to a collecting point at the park, for every 20 bottles you get one free ticket to Finnkino? (See more here.) Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

Photos by Milka Nissinen

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome. 
Helsinki Contributor