nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Efficient Studying from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Here at the University of Helsinki, we almost always have the option to attend online courses from home or take an book exam instead of going to lectures. Some people prefer studying independently in general, but especially at this time of the year, studying from home is a good option for everyone. Many people work during the summer, and book exams or online courses are an easy way to combine studying with working.There are a lot of other things we probably want to do in the summer in addition to working and/or studying. This is why it’s a good idea to plan your studying beforehand.

Here are a few tips that will hopefully help you succeed at studying efficiently from home:

1. Follow a timetable. Try to wake up at the same time every morning so that you have a clear rhythm. Decide when you’re going to have breaks, when you’re going to study and how much, and when you’re going to finish for the day. Some people need a really tight and detailed schedule to get stuff done while others can work with a loose time frame and an outline of things to do that day.

2. Dress up. As tempting as the idea of cilling in your pyjamas the whole day is, don’t do it if you want to work efficiently. Dress up as if you were going to school or work to trick your mind and your body. The simple act of putting on a bra and a pair of jeans makes a huge difference – trust me, I know. When you’re wearing clothes that are slightly uncomfortable, you’re more likely to work faster and better because you can’t wait to get rid of them.

3. Leave your room. It’s important to separate work and free time, not only with clothing, but also with location. If possible, always work in a different room that you sleep and spend your free time in. This way you probably won’t feel the urge to take a “short” nap in the middle of working and it’s easier for you to focus on the task. Create for yourself a working spot that is free from distractions and is as ergonomic as possible. If you can’t concentrate at home, go to a nearby library or a café.

4. Take short breaks. Have a sip of water or a cup of coffee, eat something, check your social media, go outside for a breath of fresh air, or do some yoga. Do whatever helps you to relax and refresh for a moment, but keep your breaks short and then get back to work.

5. When you finish studying, put everything away. Now is the time to relax, reward yourself and do whatever you want. Put your books somewhere you can’t see them, so you don’t have to stress about them on your free time.

The key to these simple life hacks is to separate the time you work or study from the time you don’t. If you’re anything like me, without decent planning you will most likely end up just hanging around the whole day with your books and your phone, not really being able to get anything done, but also feeling guilty about not working. We don’t want that. So this year, let’s work efficiently so we’ll get more time to enjoy summer. Good luck!

I am a 21-year-old Social Psychology major who loves to write, travel and meet new people.
Helsinki Contributor