5 Things to Do in Helsinki This Easter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Would you like to do something fun during the upcoming Easter break but don’t know what? We’ve got you covered! Here are five traditional Finnish Easter happenings and other fun things to see and do in Helsinki this Easter.

1. Via Crucis Easter pageant.

The Easter pageant is a traditional Christian play which tells a story about Jesus and the Via Crucis. This year’s version features for the first time an all-female cast, including actress Maria Ylipää as Jesus. The play starts from Kaisaniemi park and moves around Helsinki, ending in Tuomiokirkko/Helsinki Cathedral. The play is free to watch. The date of the play is 14 of April, at 21:30.

Photo: Helsingin seurakunnat

2. Falkulla animal farm.

Fallkulla’s animal farm is open from 10:00 to 15:00, Friday to Monday. The farm is situated in Malminkaari 24. There you can see newborn ducks, chickens and lambs. And you don’t need to show your student card because this one is free from charge, too.

3. Easter bonfires in Seurasaari.

Easter bonfires in Seurasaari are very traditional in Finnish culture. In the old days, it was believed that the fire kept witches and trolls away and ensured a good crop. It is in Seurasaari Open-Air Museum, admission is also free. The day is 15 of April and time is 18:30.

4. The Winter Garden.

The Winter Garden in Töölönlahti is an indoor garden where you can see exotic plants and flowers. Go and enjoy a little bit of warm, humid air and beautiful green plants. The place is open on Friday 12-15 and on Saturday and Sunday it’s open 12-16. The address is Hammarskjöldintie 1. Bring your friends too, the place is charge free!

Photo: Maija Huitu

5. Löyly.

Löyly is the hottest place in Helsinki. It’s a sauna where you can also go for a swim in the Baltic Sea. The place is open from Thursday to Saturday 13-22 and on Sunday 13-21. They recommend making a reservation before going, and it costs 19 euros per person for a 2 hour spot. The price includes a towel, a cloth to sit on in sauna, and shampoo and shower gel. Remember to bring your swimsuit. You can find this place in Hernesaarenranta 4.

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor