The 5 Stages Before Submitting Your Thesis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Now that we are well into April, so many of us students are struggling to wrap up our theses. After all, a thesis represents the culmination of months of work… and to be honest most of us are a little surprised we even got this far.

1. Procrastination

The end is so close, yet so far away. You have a chapter or so left, but surely it can wait for a couple of days: it’s better to be well-rested before attempting anything too hard.

2. Mild panic

Okay, you probably left it a bit too late. It’s fine, no worries. Still a few weeks left. Plenty of time. You’ll make the deadline. Right?

3. The feedback rush

After getting feedback from your supervisor (which may or may not be slightly soul-crushing), you finally feel like you have some direction and something concrete to work on. It’s game on.

4. The lowest of the low

This only lasts for a very short while, however. There’s way too much to add, read, and edit… and way too little time. At this point, your diet consists of approximately 80% carbs, 20% coffee.

5. Submission!

After living, eating and breathing thesis for what feels like literally ages… what to do now? Is this what freedom feels like?

Good luck and don’t despair!  

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.