2 Vegan Dinners to Cook This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

We all remember the food pyramids and meal examples from school, where meat and dairy were praised as the keys to strong muscles and healthy bones. However, in recent years there has been increasing backlash against animal products after studies have linked animal agriculture to global warming and dairy and meat consumption to various diseases, in addition to the more obvious concerns of animal rights. According to the European Environment Agency, meat and dairy products have the highest footprint of carbon, raw materials, and water per kilogramme of all foods, all over the world. Meatfree Mondays and other campaigns encouraging omnivores to reduce their use of animal products have gained popularity and plant-based, vegan eating has become a bit of a trend.

Going vegan may sound intimidating and even impossible if you’re used to building your meals around meat and dairy, but the good news is that even if you opt for a few meat or dairy free meals every week, you are already reducing your carbon footprint and making a positive change. Here are two easy, tasty, vegan recipes to get you started.

Soy Tortillas

Fastfood is a busy student’s best friend but it can get bad for both your health and the planet very quickly. Making similar foods at home is a marginally healthier option and it’s much easier to make environment-friendly choices when you’re preparing the food yourself.

Ingredients:
(2 wraps)

For the crispy soy:
2 handfuls of soy slices, soaked in hot vegetable stock until soft
2 tbsp chicken fajita spice mixture (you can make your own with breadcrumbs, paprika, salt and pepper)
1 tbsp vegetable oil

For the tortillas:
2 tortillas
Lettuce, cut into strips
Tomato, diced
Red onion, diced
(Vegan) mayonnaise
Paprika spice
Garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 200 °C. In a zip lock bag, combine the chicken spice mixture, oil and drained soy slices and shake until the slices are evenly coated. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. While the soy slices are baking, make the sauce by mixing together mayonnaise, paprika and garlic powder.
Stuff the tortillas with soy slices, lettuce, tomato, red onion and mayonnaise and enjoy!

Vegan macaroni casserole

A childhood favourite of, well, everyone who grew up in Finland, macaroni casserole is traditionally made with ground beef, milk, and eggs. This plant-based, environment-friendly version is just as comforting and delicious, and great for shovelling into your mouth while crying over homework. The broad bean crumble substituting beef in the recipe can be swapped for textured soy protein, but environment-wise broad beans are a great option as they are grown and processed in Finland, unlike imported soy.

Ingredients:

400 g macaroni
2 dl broad bean crumble
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, chopped
3 dl oat cream
1 tbsp oregano/Italian seasoning
Salt and black pepper, to taste
(Optional: you can add a grated carrot, frozen peas, or any vegetable of your choice for extra healthiness and colour.)

Prepare the broad bean crumble according to the instructions on the packaging. (Cook or soak for about 10 minutes.) Cook the macaroni until it’s almost done but not quite, as it’ll continue cooking in the oven. Fry the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil until translucent. Add bean crumble, sundried tomato, oregano, and salt and pepper. Combine the mixture with drained macaroni and 2 dl of oat cream. Transfer into a lightly greased baking dish and pour the remaining 1 dl of oat cream on top. Bake at 175 °C for 25-30 minutes. Serve with tomato ketchup and a side salad, just like in primary school.

Passionate about social media, food and travel. Former Editor-in-Chief of HC at Helsinki.
Lyra Li

Helsinki

A perpetual dreamer searching for new adventures, more crime novels to read and the determination to become a minimalist.