University of Hawaii at Manoa Recieves D+ on Sexual Health Report Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Do you think that health services are easily available on the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa campus? Condom company Trojan released its 2015 Sexual Health Report Card Rankings, where UH ranked 95. This study is intended to call attention to the availability of sexual health services on campuses nationwide.

According to Trojan’s website, since the 2006 launch of the Sexual Health Report Card, it has adding 40 more schools to the list. After being ranked, schools have added improved programming and sexual health resources for students in the last 10 years of this survey.

“In its 10th year, the Trojan Sexual Health Report Card continues to motivate schools to improve their resources and offerings,” said Bruce Weiss, Vice President of Marketing for Trojan™ Brand Condoms. “The average GPA increase from 2006 to 2015 shows that schools have developed better programming and are providing better sexual health information for their students. As the most trusted name in sexual health, we want to encourage schools to provide the best care for their students.”

Schools were given a grade on a 4.0 grading scale. One hundred and forty schools were evaluated on categories like: contraceptive availability, STI/HIV testing, sexual assault programs and more.

Who took the top? Oregon State University– for the second year in a row.

Top 10 Sexually Healthy Schools:

1.     Oregon State University

2.     Stanford University

3.     University of Georgia

4.     University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

5.     Brown University

6.     University of Oregon

7.     University of Iowa

8.     Columbia University in the City of New York

9.     The University of Texas At Austin

10. University of Arizona

Top 10 Sexually Unhealthy Schools

131. Baylor University

132. Louisiana Tech U.

133. U. of New Orleans

134. Texas Tech U.

135. St. John’s U.– New York

136. U. of Notre Dame

137. U. of Louisiana At Monroe

138. Providence College

139. Troy State U. – Main Campus

140. Brigham Young U.

In 2014, UH was ranked 116– jumping one rank from 2013 (117).  What do you think UH can do to improve its GPA for next year? 

Zebley Foster is a senior at University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is getting her major in journalism and a minor in English. In her free time she dances salsa, reads books, writes, and of course: goes to the beach!
Hawaii Contributor Account