ROOMMATE HORROR STORIES VOL. I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

ROOMMATE HORROR STORIES VOL. I

We all have had roommates and some people have been fortunate enough to never experience the horrors that some roommates bring. However, others find themselves trapped in a never ending situation of awkward, irritating, obnoxious, rude, and horrifying situations.

Volume I: UH Manōa  looks at some of these stories……

OFF CAMPUS APARTMENT:

“A certain someone painted on my Wyland Galleries towel, that had orcas on it. First off, orcas are my favorite animals and second, Wyland Galleries is a super famous artist on island! My roommate took my towel and spray painted her mirror on it and stained it. She then claimed she didn’t know that the spray paint would seep through onto my towel…….Would you use it in the first place?”

FRESHMAN DORMS:

“I move in and the first minute I am there, my roommate’s stuff is exploded in both sides of the room. I sat down and she decided to give me a list of rules I had to follow while living with her. First was that light had to be off at exactly 10:10 every night; no exceptions. She uncontrollably sobbed at least three times a week, to the point where she was screaming. She wouldn’t let me in the room when I came back from the shower because we were having an RA inspection and I was left in my towel in the hall until it was done. Another time, I was out to dinner for a friends birthday, and my roommate asked if she could unplug some lights and I told her I would be home soon to study. So I came home and turned on my reading light and the next day she was constantly sobbing while Facetiming her parents because she was so tired from the night before. The final straw was her bringing in the RAs to have a personal talk with me and told me about feelings and it ended with her moving out in the next hour.”

CAMPUS APARTMENTS

“Our roommate unplugged our mini fridge, filled with brand new groceries and didn’t plug it back in. The next morning we woke up and we thought that someone had spilt rice all over the carpet, but then it started to move. It ended up that we had gotten maggots because all the food had melted and leaked out of the fridge onto the floor. The apartment stank of spoiled food and maggots were all over. We confronted our roommate about unplugging the fridge and she went crazy. We asked her to pay us back for the groceries and she threw a tantrum. To say the least, we were disgusted and furious with our roommates behavior. It took her two weeks to finally physically throw the money at us.”

CAMPUS APARTMENTS

“My roommate used to turn the lights on at all hours of the night and blast her music purely to wake me up. It started to wake up our other two roommates and we all asked her to stop. This then lead her to start stealing my stuff and lying about doing it. I would see her wearing my clothes and found my hairbrush in her backpack after it had been missing for two weeks. She, to this day, denies all of this.”

Cover Image courtesy of https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FeY2-ZQdcDQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!