yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Let’s Get Creepy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s finally here! THIS IS HALLOWEEN!

Everyone has been waiting for the leaves to change and that skeleton beat to drop. Here are some ways to prep for the upcoming festivities!

1. Swipe Some Ghoulish Movies

There are some classics you have to stick to: Hocus Pocus, Nightmare Before Christmas, Halloween Town (to name a few). But there are some slightly more creepy movies to help you get a little terrified this holiday season. Have you seen IT? What about The Houses October Built? Throw in a little Insidious action and you have a recipe for a frightful night!

2. Grab Cheap Decor

Target has some great holiday swag, but when you’re balling on a budget, a girl has to get a little crafty. Try your local Goodwill store or Salvation Army; many families recycle through decorations each season and you never know what will jump out at you. Have old books lying around? Paint the covers and create your own spooky spell book! And the truest way to get into spirit: carve a pumpkin fit for the Pumpkin King himself!

3. Pinterest a Creepy Costume

It’s the only day you can acceptably dress as a Disney character once you’re past the age of twelve; why not take advantage of it? If you lack the creative bug, check out Pinterest for easy costume hacks and ideas for your look book this year. Don’t have the funds of a princess? There are plenty easy costumes that Pinterest has cooked up for you made from basics in every girl’s closet! If cute isn’t your thing, be sure to look up some truly killer costumes there as well.

4. Stir-up a Haunting Drink

What’s a holiday without a little holiday party! Bloody Mary anyone? What about a Evil Apple Martini? Cook up a drink list that will have your house guests feeling haunted all Halloween night (and maybe the next day).

5. Plan your Halloween Haunt

There’s so much pressure to have fun on nights such as these that sometimes you get overwhelmed by the possibilities. Are you a club crawler? Grab your ghastly crew and look up local events in your area. More of a home haunter? Pick up pounds of candy and silently judge the rugrats’ costumes that are hunting for treats on your street. Checking out the cutie down the street in his Tarzan costume won’t be so terrible either. No matter how you creep, your Halloween should be what you make of it.

Happy Haunting!

Cover Image courtesy of http://ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/11/54fefab7043ed-enchanting-s2.jpg

Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!